Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two rare guns

Options
  • 06-03-2005 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Anyone at all have any Idea where I might find a Fusil Modele 1 or an Armalite AR-5. The AR-5 is a hornet - how easy is this to get in Ireland (It may have to dispose of a fox).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

An AR5??
    Hope you got between 8,to 10 thousand Dollars to buy one first!
    They were very limited in production,ugly as sin,[all metal telescoping wire stock, bolt action]and were no great success,as they were designed as a survival rifle to replace the survival shotgun rifle combo gun issued to the US SAC Peacemaker bomber crews in the 1950s.ICBMS made the bomber pretty much obsolete,so the bomber force was scaled back,thussly killing any govt sales of the AR5.

Just go get a normal 22 hornet bolt action with a proper scope you will be dealing with any foxes no problem.Failig that a shotgun with 000 buck or as it is known here "foxshot"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

What's a "Fusil Modele 1"?

Is it a commonly used French designation for a particular gun? (Same as Germans call the "Luger" pistol the "Pistole '08")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i agree with glock here on this one a .22 hornet is the best job for foxes. (im not sure how much ammo cost as iv never owned a hornet but it cant be that expensive)
    i doubt you could get the guns little_wing mentoined handy in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I think there is a misunderstanding on the ar-5. It is a small survival gun that can be taken down and packed into its own stock. The military version was bolt action hornet and the civ one was a .22 semi.

The fusil is based on the french MAS36 and its a french service7.5. There is also a civ 7.62 model its circa 1970s,I'm only after a deactivated one - too large a civ calibre.

civdef wrote:
    What's a "Fusil Modele 1"?

Is it a commonly used French designation for a particular gun? (Same as Germans call the "Luger" pistol the "Pistole '08")
    Its more correct to say "Parrabelum" (possible misspelling :rolleyes: ) Pistol '08

• Advertisement

Right!!! What you are looking for is the AR7!!! That is the takedown 22lr semi,that can be stored in the stock that floats.Now,I had one of these in the USA,and it is with owners a very much love/hate relationship.
    It is cheap [$100 I paid for it in the 80s]
    It is easy to pack and store ,eight parts for the trigger mechanism and simple to work on.
    It is lightweight. It floats assembled or unassembled.There was a gamut of acessories to turn it into a poor mans assault rifle. It is easily adapted for suppressors or if possible to own full auto.

It's trigger is appaling,It's sights are a joke, impossible to modify without losing the storage capicity ,scoping is tricky and negates any storage capability,the mag supplied is tinny and prone to damage on the lips,the cocking handle can get lost easy.The finish is a dreadful bake on paint,that flakes off almost immediately.
    The one I had I was told I was lucky,as it was a Charter arms version.Charter arms quality control was touch and go at best.Some worked intermittedly or never at all.
    There were three makers of the AR7, Armalite,which is rated as the best maker,and are considerd still the best in quality and workmanship and fetch collectors prices,or their owners still use and hold onto them.They are recognised by their brown and multi colord stocks.Charter arms,which can be very much pot luck as to get one that works.The new makers are Henry arms,they seem to have debugged it pretty well,and modified the stock somwhat that it will hold a spare mag.Plus their accessories work well or so I am told.

Questionable wether there is one to be got here.As of it's extreme concealability,In Europe it is considerd a prohibited gun,as it is considerd"ideal"for poaching.

There is a German type of it called the Landmann. It is stronger,in the mag dept,a steel reciver and wooden stock,it has a detachable barrel as well.Price was/is around E200 to E500.It fell foul of the same law that banned the AR7 in Europe as well.But nowadays it seems that they are available again.

check out www.vdb waffen.de/gebrauchtwaffen/index.html for pics

Yes the AR5 was a military issue as was the AR7[both in very limited runs] Stoner used the AR7 to correct the faults found by the USAF of the AR5.But both were never taken on due to the change in possible nuke annilahation plans.Since the USAF never bought it ,it became a big hit with the civvie market for hunters,trappers and bush pilots.Not to mind Hollywood who have used it in various films and TV seris,for arming many bad guy hitmen.

The 9mm is referred to in Germany as offically 9mm Luger parabellum[Lat "prepare for war"].It is interchangable terminology 9mm, 9mmLuger, 9mm parabellum or 9mm para.
    The 08 is abbreviated for 9mm parabellum Luger pistole model 1908.Conviently shortend to Luger 08 :D

The fusil is based on the french MAS36 and its a french service7.5. There is also a civ 7.62 model its circa 1970s,I'm only after a deactivated one - too large a civ calibreQUOTE]

Try Dwsuk.co.uk They might have one

Thanks for info on AR-7

About the luger, technically -

It is refered to as a parabellum in models manufactured by DWM and other German Companies which made it during the war effort.
    Only guns exported to America and sold by the company A.F Streoger and co are formally given the name Luger.

Parabellum itself is actually the telegraphic address of Duetsche Waffen & Muntionsfabrik (DWM) and if it means that in Latin then that is indeed the coincidence of the century :eek:

Can you ffix the link , it doesnt do nothing or is it just dead?

Thanks for info on AR-7

It is refered to as a parabellum in models manufactured by DWM and other German Companies which made it during the war effort.

I am quoting from J Walter's book LUGER.It is considerd THE book on Lugers in Germany.Luger was made pre ww1 the depression and into mid ww2 until it was replaced, if that is the word, with the Walter p38 and numerous booty weapons of occupied countries.It's offical designation of the Heersamt[military dept]of the Imperial German army is as I described before.And shjould be actually pistole 07,because of delivery delays,it became pistole 08
    There were in ww2 a rake of manufactures,DWM,Mauser,Erma.Not to mind the Swiss Lugers as well that show up occasionally.

Only guns exported to America and sold by the company A.F Streoger and co are formally given the name Luger.

I belive Stoeger got into a lot of trouble about this.The original patents refer to the inventor as Georg Luger,filled in Charlottenburg in 1900.The patent has passed from DWM to Mauser to..... However the name LUGER is a trademark.Anyway it caused major hassle.
    Parabellum itself is actually the telegraphic address of Duetsche Waffen & Muntionsfabrik (DWM) and if it means that in Latin then that is indeed the coincidence of the century

Nope.DWM just took that as an easy to remember "mailing address"for the plant.It does actually mean in Latin "prepare for war"

Try www.vdbwaffen.de/gebrauchtwaffen.
    Once in go to the clickdown box for langwaffen.sub box selbstladebuscen.
    scroll down to you see it

You've read whole books on Lugers...
    ....you should be a moderator

• Advertisement
Advertisement