Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need new stuff to listen to...

Options
  • 06-03-2005 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Like the title says, I need new tunes to listen to. I love Seventies jazz fusion stuff (Return to Forever, Mahavishnu, etc.) but I'm running out of CDs to buy. I have all the classics, and now it seems like every album I get kinda sucks. I never thought there would be a Mahavishnu album I didn't like until I heard Visions of the Emerald Beyond. It's horrible. Come on people, save me from wasting my money on crappy CDs - give me recommendations! I'll listen to anything interesting.
    Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

Love - "Forever Changes", amazingly good

Manu Chao - "clandestino", or "Proxima Estacion: Esperanza" both great, if youre into jazzy type stuff this might be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Try some Pat Mathey - a "best of" would be a good place to start.
    What about branching out.... step away from Fusion for a moment and listen to some classic jazz. Diana Krall would be a good place to start. Or what about Peggy Lee, there are some great Ella Fitzgerald with Joe Pass albums too. ( Is my love of jazz singers showing, I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve where they are concerned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Lactating Shark

How can you hate Visions of the Emerald Beyond? Its fantastic! Ok, its less fusion and more rock, but its great.

Have you heard Spectrum by Billy Cobham?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

How can you hate Visions of the Emerald Beyond? Its fantastic! Ok, its less fusion and more rock, but its great.

Have you heard Spectrum by Billy Cobham?

I'll give it another chance, but to be honest I got a bad feeling once I read the liner notes and realised that everybody was gone apart from McLaughlin and that people were singing on it... It's wrong, I tell you! Where are the jazz police when you need them?

As for Billy Cobham, I'm a huge fan and I have the album. That guy is my favourite drummer of all time - once I heard Birds of Fire for the first time, I fell in love. I really want to get my hands on the Jack Johnson sessions with Miles, but it's really expensive. Some classic jazz is great - I love Coltrane, as an example - but I prefer more electric stuff. And I'm not a big fan of jazz vocalists either. My ma listens to Diana Krall. She's obviously very talented, but it just doesn't grab me. I hear the new Pat Metheny is good, I might check it out...

I got a bad feeling once I read the liner notes and realised that everybody was gone apart from McLaughlin and that people were singing on it... It's wrong, I tell you! Where are the jazz police when you need them?

Jean Luc Ponty and Michael Walden are still on it. Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Inner Worlds? That's rubbish all right.

Try also
    Jeff Beck - Wired
    Larry Coryell - 11th House
    Alphonse Mouzon - Mind Transplant
    Soft Machine - Bundles
    Gong - Expresso
    Bruford - Feels Good to Me
    Weather Report - I sing the body electric
    Jean Luc Ponty - some of the late 70's ones.
    Billy Cobham - Funky thide of sings
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All

I find Pat Metheny tends to suck ass, but Bright Size Life is lovely.

• Advertisement

I never would've thought of Bill Bruford. I thought he was great with King Crimson. What are the Earthworks like?

Earthworks are fine in an acoustic jaz kind of way, but "Bruford" is his late 70's fusion band with Allan Holdsworth on guitar. The synths are cheesy and get in the way but the ensemble playing is amazing and the guitar solos make Eddie VanHalen sound like Jimmy Page.

I really like Allan Holdsworth. I have a Tony Williams Lifetime album with him on it...The name escapes me, but the playing is top notch. I can live with cheese. What are the Chick Corea Elektrik Band like?

What are the Chick Corea Elektrik Band like?

Anything I've heard by them has been really weak sounding 80's pish. If you like Holdsworth the Bruford stuff will blow you away. Also try UK, but thats out of print I think.

Also..

Stanley Clark - Journey to Love
    Allan Holdsworth - Velvet Darkness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Have any of you guys checked out "Medeski, Martin & Wood" ?

Kinda avante-garde Jazz I guess.

The albums "The Dropper" & "Friday Afternoon in the Universe" by them are probably my favourites.

Advertisement