Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband question?

Options
  • 06-03-2005 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone actually got smart broadband set up and installed yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't think they start installing it anywhere till June/July.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I don't think they start installing it anywhere till June/July.

March/April is given for some areas on their rollout schedule. For example mine:)

This is just a couple of minutes ago from the Smart Website:
    Your phone number,,,,,,, is in the exchange CROWN ALLEY. The exchange code is CRAD.
    Congratulations, Broadband is available to you! It will be available in March/April. Would you like to avail of this amazing offer?

I am sure as soon as the first connections are made boards will know all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Smart were looking for a few people to trial connections on the beggars bush/dublin exchange about a week ago. For all we know they may have had to sign NDAs though.. we should get an idea by april in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Moriarty wrote:
    Smart were looking for a few people to trial connections on the beggars bush/dublin exchange about a week ago. For all we know they may have had to sign NDAs though.. we should get an idea by april in any case.

guys do you really think that Eircom and IOLBB and all the others are gonna sit and watch Smart take thier business? NO WAY

HOLD TIGHT !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

For what?Faster access from IOL and Ericom?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For what?Faster access from IOL and Ericom?

Yes I think thats wat he means...

- Sully

It's pretty unlikely eircom will modify their bitstream services to actually compete effectively with smart (never mind actually offering a superior service), they'll just make them less of a laughing stock. Sadly, that'll be enough for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Where does all this stand with LLU right now...or have I missed something?

Smart will be running their services over LLU. Eircom, UTV, IOL, netsource, etc etc all run their services over eircom bitstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Im such a n00b,but everyone has to learn

Do smart physically have to dig up through fields to put their own cable for BB?

• Advertisement

They have to dig up roads etc to connect each exchange into their fibre optic network. There's no need for them to dig up the road to every customers house, they just rent the copper wire that was originally installed off eircom instead.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moriarty wrote:
    They have to dig up roads etc to connect each exchange into their fibre optic network. There's no need for them to dig up the road to every customers house, they just rent the copper wire that was originally installed off eircom instead.

Right so im lost :p Sorry. What parts of the areas do they dig to connect each exchange to there firbe optic network? Like from where to where does the cable laying go?

- Sully

Advertisement