Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Contract Ending Soon?

Options
  • 06-03-2005 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Remember when UTV and the other providers brought out the new offers around this time last year and we had to sign up for another 12 months? What date exactly did those offers begin from? If they dont match or better the IOL package which is being released this week i'd be jumping ship asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i think my contract ends april 1st or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I dug out the old email dated 3rd March 04 and it says

"Select the 'ClickSilver Plus Service' option and follow the on-line instructions to change to the new service which will be effective from the 1st April 2004. Please note that by upgrading you will be entering into a new 12 month agreement effective from the upgrade date"

So must be April 1st 2005 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Nyum Nyum wrote:

"Select the 'ClickSilver Plus Service' option and follow the on-line instructions to change to the new service which will be effective from the 1st April 2004. Please note that by upgrading you will be entering into a new 12 month agreement effective from the upgrade date"

Thanks guys,i wonder if they do bring out new packages as an answer to IOL/Smart will they try and tie people into another 12 month contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

yes will utv clicksilver users get an upgrade too? haven't seen any news about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Subc wrote:
    yes will utv clicksilver users get an upgrade too? haven't seen any news about it

Certainly yes, but they'll probably tie you in again for 12 months. Though if you're able to get Smart's BB soon (and assuming it's actually good), you'd be crazy to extend your contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's the deal with Smart anyway?
    I'm currently with UTV and my contract is up soon too. I have their UTV talk service and I may have entered a 12 month contract with that too, but I only started that in september I think so the contract is nowhere near up.

What should I go for?

Need broadband, not too concerned about caps or anything, if it was faster it would be better of course but not really that necessary.

Free calls with UTV TALK are great, free local, national and IRE to UK offpeak calls.

Do you have to go with smart for phone aswell as internet if you go with them? How is their phone service compared to UTV?
    thanks

yes honestly who says smart telecom will be any good at first? UTV has gotten better and more stable, and been around a lot longer then smart telecom obviously

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Subc wrote:
    yes honestly who says smart telecom will be any good at first? UTV has gotten better and more stable, and been around a lot longer then smart telecom obviously

While I agree with you that Smart are an unknown quantity it is stretching things to say that UTV have gotten better. Speeds have stablised ok but with UTV there always seems to be one issue or another - at the moment there is a dns issue, a lot of people have very recently had email problems and their customer service on their own admission had deteriorated significantly. They have been promising for at least the past 18 months to rectify this.

And I absolutely hate the fact that they are so anxious to tie people in for 12 months whenever they detect an opportunity. If the product was good enough consistently enough then they would not have to tie people in.

Nyum Nyum wrote:

For anyone who did not change over immediately you can find out for definite by checking back over your bills on the UTV site and you will see the first month where you started paying the new rates.

cormie wrote:
    What's the deal with Smart anyway?

That's what we are all waiting anxiously to find out! Nobody knows yet its as simple as that. But there is plenty of time to find out so dont do anything hasty. The dangers is that some people will cancel their bb contracts prematurely and be left without bb for a period. Once your initial 12 month contract is up you can cancel by giving a month's notice.
    Do you have to go with smart for phone aswell as internet if you go with them? How is their phone service compared to UTV?
    thanks

Yes you do have to go with them.

• Advertisement

yes but if i don't sign up for a new contract with utv in april and then want smart telecom i would have to wait till June to actually get it, to long
    make that like July/august

Subc wrote:
    yes but if i don't sign up for a new contract with utv in april and then want smart telecom i would have to wait till June to actually get it, to long
    make that like July/august

The scenario for UTV customers will likely be:

New products are announced by the Eircom resellers next week.

UTV insist (going on past performance) that a new 12 month contract is required to avail of the new product.

A lot of customers probably dont have the Smart option so they can avail of the new products if they want.

For potential Smart customers they wont be able to avail of the new products if they dont want to be tied in to a 12 month contract and the consequential expenses of breaking it later on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I hope UTV fix there problems. Iv the one major problem with connections dropping, and its the main reason why I want to just leave because there just terrible as they cant fix it!

And the CAP - would move to Smart to get away from it.

This DNS issue is driving me insane, and u cant get help on it only on boards.ie as there support sucks.

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

very same problem here... connection constantly dropping. Up till a couple of weeks ago that is, seems to have sorted itself now (fingers crossed) my contract is up in April too, currently investigating a wireless option, unless UTV comes up with something majorly attractive in the next week or so and sorts out the fecking fools in their billing dept.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rymus wrote:
    very same problem here... connection constantly dropping. Up till a couple of weeks ago that is, seems to have sorted itself now (fingers crossed) my contract is up in April too, currently investigating a wireless option, unless UTV comes up with something majorly attractive in the next week or so and sorts out the fecking fools in their billing dept.

Same here lol. I was told I was the "only one" with these problems. Seems most customers have them..

Iv a Wireless Network here, I share the internet between two computers.

Whats wrong with Billing? Support is terrible. There own fault, they took on to much to fast with UTV Talk.

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Well just about UTV, I'm not particularily technically minded but I dont think I suffer from as many dropped connections as you do. Only every couple of days or so, it isnt a problem. And only once so far ave I had to call their support and they were grand, we got some fella who new exactly what he was on about and sorted us out pretty fast. Maybe I was just lucky though.

Anyway, I hope UTV pull some good deal out of somewhere soon, I dont like this cap idea and Smart sounds attractive, if they are any good that is. I guess I'll reserve judgement until I hear more and its available here.

Arabel wrote:
    Well just about UTV, I'm not particularily technically minded but I dont think I suffer from as many dropped connections as you do. Only every couple of days or so, it isnt a problem. And only once so far ave I had to call their support and they were grand, we got some fella who new exactly what he was on about and sorted us out pretty fast. Maybe I was just lucky though.

Anyway, I hope UTV pull some good deal out of somewhere soon, I dont like this cap idea and Smart sounds attractive, if they are any good that is. I guess I'll reserve judgement until I hear more and its available here.

I got them a few times every day, had to plug out modem, re-boot, and then plug back in and then it worked.

Wait ages for answer of support, often get someone who knows feck all or doesnt want to assist in any way. Had one of them laugh at me because I mis prononunced a staff members name - very un professional in my opinion.

-- Sully

Advertisement