Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB connection sharing

Options
  • 05-03-2005 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out here i have the breeze connection with a static IP address im thinking of getting a wireless switch/router http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE878707&productID=86320 how do i configure it?

ie the static ip gets assigned to the router yeah? then i assign ip's to my pc's

But i was wondering how can i access these pc's from outside the network?

Might be more a Net/Comms question feel free to move

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

What exactly do you want to access on your PCs ? Sounds like you might want to set up a VPN, a virtual private network. This (if I remember correctly) should allow you to seem like youre actually connected to your home network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i want to connect desktop laptop and server to IBB connection which has a static ip and be able to remote desktop into each of the pc's from outside the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

1. buy a router (d-link, netgear, linksys...whatever), most have DHCP so you don't have to manually assign IPs on your home network, you can still assign specific IPs to specific machines if you want to.

2. open the port for the incoming remote connection.
    MS Remote Desktop is Port 3389 / RDP. You can change it if you want.
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/433-p1.php
    VNC is Port 5900
    http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html

3. assign destination IP on your home network.

4. you might want to assign a schedule for that, e.g. only valid from 8am to 8pm on weekdays, basically when you're not at home to improve your security.

The limitation here is that you can only connect to one machine only.
    So if you want to connect to several machines you'll have to setup a VPN.
    If you want to do that make sure the router you buy is able to do it.

Browse around few router manufacturer sites and download their manuals, they usually have screen captures of their different features, so it's easier to see what I'm talking about.

that sounds good enough i only really want to remote to the one machine anyways.

But could i say remote into that machine then remote from it to the other pc's in the internal network? :P??

any pointers on how to set up a vpn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Yes you can remote to one machine and then remote from it to a second machine...etc... I do it sometimes, it can add a bit of lag. But it's not a big problem.

I've never setup a VPN because I don't need it but everything needed (software an instructions) are provided with the router.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

By the way you can share the internet connection with out a router. I am getting a router soon but in the mean time i just set up internet connection on my home network by using 2 network cards in my system. one for the ibb connection with my ibb IP and the other on my home network with dhcp running. It works out ok but its better to have a router witch i plan to get soon.

found the answer port forwarding as you said but you can use a different port for each client :) ie forward 3389 to client A and 3388 to client b

Advertisement