Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring a switch- before I do anything stupid

Options
  • 05-03-2005 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

image attached is a push-to-make switch I've purchased.
    I want to use this for a waste disposal unit so that it cannot accidentally be left turned on.

before I do anything stupid or dangerous I want to double-check I've got this right :

live wire goes to the two top screws (marked 'MAKE' and 'BREAK)

the negative wire(s) go to the bottom screw marked COM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I'm pretty sure the negative wire should not go to that switch at all. Make connects to Com when the switch is depressed. Break connects to Com when the switch is not depressed. For your application, the supply positive should connect to Com and then Make gives the positive (output) feed for the appliance.

I suggest you check the operation of the switch with a multimeter or continuity tester to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

now that I've read up a bit I can see I was about to do something very stupid...

thanks snowbat - that looks correct :
    negative is wired straight-through and doesn't go to switch at all
    live will go to MAKE and COM screws
    nothing will go to BREAK screw

will double check with a multimeter before I go doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just aswell you posted as there would have been a bit of a bang!
    The neutral should be joined straight through and the perminant live goes to the common and the live from what ever you want to turn on goes into "make" which is normally marked "NO" normally open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

:blush:

I had a feeling I wasn't thinking straight.... have had my coffee now ... it's so bleedin' obvious too...

thanks all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Any switch is made by breaking the live Hold the two ends of these & you will wake up

• Advertisement
Advertisement