Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie themes

Options
  • 05-03-2005 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Any one like any of John Williams, Michael Kamen or James Horners work? The have produced and conducted some real classics.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 the_count

Movie themes are great!

Just last week I've arranged the Godfather's themes and Schindler's List for classical guitar. :)

Simple, but it works... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I love the theme from The Piano. "The Heart Asks Pleasure First". My favourite tune ever.

Composed by Michael Nyman i think.

The Gladiator soundtrack is cool aswell. Hans Zimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

Michael Nyman is one of my favourite modern composers. He's playing in Cork and Dublin the week after next. Can't wait

Wooooot?

Where when how?!! Can I get a linky off you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Michael Nyman is hit and miss to be honest. The Piano was superb alright.

James Horner has had some highlights i.e. Braveheart and Braveheart but he tends to steal some of his own cues for a helluva lot of movies...a bit of originality goes a long way. Some of my favourite composers and their highlights are as follows:

(In no particular order)

Alan Silvestri - Forrest Gump, Back to the future
    Ennio Morricone - The Mission, Once upon a time in America, What dreams may come (unused)
    Hans Zimmer - Gladiator, Pearl Harbor, Backdraft (RTE use this now for their rugby coverage), Hannibal, Last Samurai, Thin Red Line
    Randy Edelman - Last of the Mohicans (shared), Dragonheart - Check this one out it's one of the most used soundtracks ever (for trailers etc)
    John Williams - Empire of the sun, Jaws, Superman, Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot, A.I.
    Edward Shearmur - K-PAX (Amazing chillout, one of the best soundtracks I have)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Listening to the Waking Life soundtrack by Tosca Tango Orchestra at the minute. It's a bit different - very good though. Sort of dreamy (well, what would you expect from such a film?) and haunting at times.

Recommended.

Blade Runner soundtrack is top-notch too.

Wooooot?

Where when how?!! Can I get a linky off you?

Never mind, just ordered my tickets. Yipee! Something to look forward to.

I'm gettin my tickets tomorrow. I hope I can get the ones I want. Yann Tiersen's music for the film almelie is also amazing. I love to play both composers on the piano....so much emotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I want to be be able to play the piano.

Try it man, its not too hard. I've only been playin 4 months and im doing my grade 2 exam in a bit. The most fun you can have on your own.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    I want to be be able to play the piano.

If you have an ear for music then it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.People starting later in life (as in not when they're 5) generally find their fingers feel awkward on the piano...but you'd get past that fast enough with practice and confidence. You should try to take it up. I've been playing 15 years now and it's something I'll be able to do for the rest of my life. It's such a good feeling just being able to sit down and make music.

Advertisement