Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrade - Does date apply here?

Options
  • 05-03-2005 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Neowin news item

This says that the proposed NTL upgrade (which I haven't heard anything about as of late, or for that matter been looking into much) is to take place on 14th March but does not mention it specifically as the UK.

Does anyone know if we will be getting it at the same time, and if not is there a date for us? Or is this even going ahead still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's definlately going ahead in the U.K, but i'm not sure about ireland.

reading this forum a while back i remember seeing that previous NTL UK upgrades were recieved here on the same days so if that's the case then the outlook looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If it's scheduled for the 14th March then I'd pretty much say a lot of people will notice the diffence. Keep an eye out that day on your average download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

isn't NTL one big network? you "should" get updates too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

Existing 300Kbps customers will be given the option to upgrade to the 1Mbps. But, on doing so the monthly data transfer cap will reduced from 30GB to 3GB! Some customers may therefore prefer staying on the 300Kbps service with a 30GB monthly usage allowance.

:eek:

I'm on the 750kbps service so I'll be interested to see if we get the upgrade too. I can see it happening - aren't Smart offering 2Mbps for about the same price, this might push NTL into doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

CyberGhost wrote:
    isn't NTL one big network? you "should" get updates too

Ohh yes it is............ ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

There are some NTL people on boards and I'm surprised that nobody's offered a definitive answer. In any case, I've emailed NTL and will let you know the reply.

There are some NTL people on boards and I'm surprised that nobody's offered a definitive answer. In any case, I've emailed NTL and will let you know the reply.

spot on ! let us know how you get on !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

They’ll tell you nothing you don’t already know. You'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Any reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I emailed them a month ago about the upgrades and this was the reply I got from them
    Dear Mr Farrell,

Thank you for your e-mail. 
    At present we have no information about new speeds for our broadband customers in Ireland. We have 3 different speed packages, 300kbps - ?30 a month, 750kbps - ?40 a  month and 1.5MB - ?50 a month.

NTL in England is a completely different network and cannot be compared to Ireland. Given time, we will have more speeds available, until then this is the only offer we have available for our Irish customers. I trust this should resolve your query.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards

The important part of the reply is "Given time, we will have more speeds available"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Looks negative according to this post on boards.
    [edit] or the post above now ^^^

What a baloney answer too,
    oh your networks are different really :rolleyes:

causal :mad:

MickFarr wrote:
    The important part of the reply is "Given time, we will have more speeds available"
    Yes, but the questions paying customers and prospective customers want answered is "when and what speeds"?

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

MickFarr wrote:

No that's not the important part at all. The important bit is that we're not getting it at the same time and from the looks of that e-mail there are no plans to upgrade any time soon, free or not.

Thanks anyhoo.

We have 3 different speed packages, 300kbps - ?30 a month, 750kbps - ?40 a month and 1.5MB - ?50 a month.

Two of those prices are 5 euro too high, according to thentl website the prices are:
    300kbps - 25 a month, 750kbps - 35 a month and 1.5MB - 50 a month.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I guess if they're thinking of selling it off they probably aren't very interested in investing any more money in the Irish part of the NTL network.

Think everyone is very dissapointed with this NTL decison not to increase thier speeds !! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

causal wrote:
    Two of those prices are 5 euro too high, according to thentl website the prices are:
    300kbps - 25 a month, 750kbps - 35 a month and 1.5MB - 50 a month.

causal
    *Customers who signed up to ntl broadband service prior to 01/07/04 will be charged at following rates: ntl Broadband Starter e30, ntl Broadband e40.
    :)

*Customers who signed up to ntl broadband service prior to 01/07/04...
    We have 3 different speed packages

have not had ;)

causal

Goddamit! As usual Irish BB users are screwed over AGAIN! :mad:

Infini wrote:
    Goddamit! As usual Irish BB users are screwed over AGAIN! :mad:

I spoke to the Customer Support Manger of NTL tonight at around 5:30 and she confirmed there was no date for incresed speeds ! She also confimed they were more or less maxed out in most areas where they are serving with Bandwidth.

Sad old Ireland !!! will we ever get BB right?

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    I spoke to the Customer Support Manger of NTL tonight at around 5:30 and she confirmed there was no date for incresed speeds ! She also confimed they were more or less maxed out in most areas where they are serving with Bandwidth.
    Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!!! :eek:
    "more or less maxed out" - how in the name of plod can that be? :confused:
    I thought ntl had lots of (local-ish) fibre optic cable and oodles of bandwidth.

If it is accuracte then it's a total put off being with ntl - and a total put off for any prospective buyer of ntl - no-one can see the new buyer investing heavily in roll-out. And if ntl are already near their max - then the future bodes very poorly indeed.

Someone tell me it's wrong, it's too bad to be right :(

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

it doesn't surprise me at all that they're nearly maxed out. the number of users has grown at lot lately, and i presume that like in the uk, they haven't bothered doing much work to add more capacity as more subscribers get on board

carrotcake wrote:
    it doesn't surprise me at all that they're nearly maxed out. the number of users has grown at lot lately, and i presume that like in the uk, they haven't bothered doing much work to add more capacity as more subscribers get on board

Think they need to more work to the network to increase network routers and segmentation of the exiting network, think it requires the breaking down of areas into smaller clusters or something, techie people here may understand what I am trying to say.

BB has in many ways being the saving grace of NTL as Sky has taken almost 20 -30% of thier Dublin customer base and new companies on thier heals had also robbed 10 year monopoly.........

As for fibre being maxrd out, only a small % would be designated for the Resi market the bulk is for high bandwidth users in the commercial sector !

Roll on fibre to the home ...............

Well with smart due to roll out their own bb package over the next few months I'll probably switch to them when they enable the cabra exchange later this year (hopefully) unless NTL or whatever company controls it by then offers an improved package.

Advertisement