Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Moate.

Options
  • 04-03-2005 11:48pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Anyone here heard anything about broadband in Moate Co.Westmeath. My paitence is running out. We got in under that roll out scheme (population was over 1,500) and we are suppose to have a connection this month. No sight nor sound of it. My friend was asking in the eircom store in Athlone and they said something June/July.

Anyone with any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Azza wrote:
    Anyone here heard anything about broadband in Moate Co.Westmeath. My paitence is running out. We got in under that roll out scheme (population was over 1,500) and we are suppose to have a connection this month. No sight nor sound of it. My friend was asking in the eircom store in Athlone and they said something June/July.

Anyone with any info?

try last mile wireless.............. there have BB in Moate ??

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Azza wrote:
    My friend was asking in the eircom store in Athlone and they said something June/July.

They probably thought he asked when he might get served :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

http://www.unison.ie/westmeath_independent/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1353636&issue_id=12180

Sat, Mar 05 05
    Moate set to be included in latest rollout of broadband

Grace O’Dea News Correspondent

The Westmeath town of Moate has been included in a list of forty seven towns for which the Minister for Communications is now calling on local authorities to build advanced Broadband Networks in, under the current phase of the Government’s Broadband Action Plan.

The town of Moate appears on the proposed list, whereby local authorities are invited to invest in the construction of high speed broadband.

Already 26 towns have Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs) either built or under construction under Phase I (see Map attached Appendix II), with a further 35 towns approved and 11 currently undergoing evaluation under Phase II (see Map attached Appendix III).

In announcing Phase II of the Second Call for Proposals of the Broadband Action Plan Minister Noel Dempsey the final phase will see many Irish towns benefiting greatly from the scheme.

“This concluding phase will ensure the provision of high-speed broadband infrastructure in all towns in Ireland with a population over 1,500,” said Minister Dempsey.

In partnership with central Government, Local and Regional Authorities are being invited to invest in the construction of high-speed broadband infrastructure in the 47 towns. The infrastructure will be made available on an open access basis to all telecom operators and will provide a fillip to competition.

These towns were chosen, in line with the National Spatial Strategy and in consultation with the IDA and Forfás, on the basis that they did not have adequate broadband available to them.

Norcontel, an independent telecommunications consultancy providing advisory and project services to corporate and public network clients internationally, has been appointed to evaluate proposals to ensure that they are technically and financially feasible.

The call documentation is available on the website <http://www.norcontel.ie/rbp&gt; which includes both the Instructions to Applicants document and a technical guideline document designed to assist the Local/Regional Authorities in the selection of the appropriate technology for each town and the design of the networks.

Applications are being invited in a phased basis.

Following an economic and technical evaluation of the proposals the projects will commence as early as possible and will be completed during 2006 and 2007.
    Not much direct information there so if I were you I would make contact directly with the Department or Westmeath County Council (ask for Ray Kenny).

Viking

Advertisement