Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question About Copyright

• 04-03-2005 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭

OK, i've made some videos with my digital camera. All of the video is my property. I would like to use music as background music from various games and albums. Is it legal for me to use them, once i mention who owns copyright on each track? IE at the end of a video clip, I say music is Copyright Square-Enix 2004 and Video is copyright 2005?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IANAL. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Would you mind if someone used your video as their music video and made a note saying "video copyright mp3 guy"?

I think if you intend on selling this commercially you will need to speak to the relevant licensors/publishers/music & games companies.

What is the video for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭mp3guy

just a few home movies... not commerically selling, just up for download for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Once you don't make money out of it, I don't see how it's any different from playing the CD in the background while the silent movie continues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Again, IANAL. Legal? No. Will they give a ****? Who knows...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It is only illegal to use copyright material in a publication. If it is a private video, no, obviously it is not illegal. If it is a video you attempt to sell, publish, distribute, or release on the internet, you are in breech of copyright, and will be fined. If it is something you wish to release, but will make no income from, you will, in all likelyhood be given permission if you write requesting it, and offer a sample if required. If it is to generate money, permission will in most likelyhood be refused, unless the holder of the copyright feels it will generate significant income, and in that case you will have to pay royaltys. Whats the video? And don't post a link to a video in breach of copyright for your own sake :D

[edit]
    mp3guy wrote:
    just a few home movies... not commerically selling, just up for download for free

Just saw your most recent post...technically you need to request it, but i wouldn't imagine they'd give a $hite about a home movie featuring music tbh.

a series of short wallace and gromit style animations containing a sheep and various dark elf warhammer characters is what it is. I use music from dream theater, liquid tension experiment and lots of SNES rpgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The worst thing they can do is ask you to take it down off the server. If you don't comply, then you might get in trouble. "Fans" use copyright material all the time - I've seen a few home-made GTA videos with various artists playing in the background. If you're not making any money from it, then you're not hurting them tbh.

so i should just contact square and the other companies and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

I cant believe where ven having this conversation considoring the amount of piracy that goes on nowadays. Even so the record companies are making record profits in Ireland....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

This is completely illegal (well, it's not a criminal act, but it is a civil offense). If you want to be clear by the law with this you need to get written permission, or find music with a license that includes such permission.

You can find some music with a Creative Commons license here. There are different types of Creative Commons licenses. You want one that allows for derivative works. Some allow for derivative works under a "share-alike" policy, meaning that you can only use it in a derivative work if that derivative work is itself released under such a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

its done all the time in gaming movies, no-one asks for permission, no-one makes money off them, no-ones even asked to remove the file, this goes on constantly, ive done it myself, people usually (though not all the time) just mention the artist and song in the credits, on a rare occasion people put in copyright asdfg audio copyright - respected audio artists, so basically just go ahead and do it, the intellectual property owner will not even hear about it nevermind care about it

Advertisement