Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 03-03-2005 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Foreign Affairs : TG4 Reception
    The Conference was pleased that all issues relating to increasing TG4 reception had now been addressed, and the two Joint Chairs signed an Intergovernmental Agreement granting authority for TG4 to use a UK frequency to broadcast in Northern Ireland.

The GFA (Good Friday Agreement) kicks in. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Could someone check this out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Cant see anything (but then Im only using an indoor aerial since our outside one fell down) I am seeing some sort of wierd test signal/lines on Ch62 but thats NVTV's channel :confused:

A lot of video's and digiboxes in Belfast use Ch60 so if they do use Ch59 its gonna be fun ?

Given that Bangor has a relay on 59 as does Newcastle Co. Down, it seems an odd choice of channel.

It's on already, Channel 59.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

SRB wrote:
    It's on already, Channel 59.

Yes, I now have it via a channel search (which did not find it yesterday). Reception is bloody awful though (where the 5 British channels are fine).

• Advertisement

I suspect it will be on the high end of the band though 60 or possibly 64
    anyone else want to hazard a wild guess ?

Also I reckon it will be on relatively lowish power with a directonal pattern partially to protect relays/DTT and partly to avoid wasting power into places already served by Claremont or Monaghan

Heres the full relay list (not encluding adjacent, Scottish and Irish transmitters) for Divis BTW
    21 Ch4 Divis
    21 Ch4 Killowen Mountain
    22 BBC 1 Benagh
    22 BBC 1 Cushendun
    23 DTT Mux A Divis
    24 UTV Divis
    24 UTV Killowen Mountain
    25 UTV Benagh
    25 Ch4 Cushendun
    26 DTT Mux B Divis
    27 BBC 2 Divis
    27 BBC 2 Killowen Mountain
    28 BBC 2 Benagh
    28 BBC 2 Cushendun
    29 DTT Mux 1 Divis
    31 BBC 1 Divis
    31 BBC 1 Killowen Mountain
    32 Ch4 Benagh
    32 UTV Cushendun
    33 DTT Mux 2 Divis
    34 DTT Mux D Divis
    37 Ch5 Black Mountain
    39 BBC 1 Armagh
    39 BBC 1 Black Mountain
    39 BBC 1 Conlig
    39 BBC 1 Draperstown
    39 BBC 1 Kilkeel
    39 BBC 1 Larne
    39 BBC 1 Moneymore
    39 BBC 1 Newry South
    40 BBC 1 Carnmoney Hill
    40 BBC 1 Cushendall
    40 BBC 2 Rostrevor Forest
    41 Ch4 Black Mountain
    41 UTV Newry North
    42 Ch4 Armagh
    42 Ch4 Conlig
    42 Ch4 Draperstown
    42 Ch4 Kilkeel
    42 Ch4 Larne
    42 Ch4 Moneymore
    42 Ch4 Newry South
    43 UTV Carnmoney Hill
    43 UTV Cushendall
    44 BBC 1 Banbridge
    44 BBC 2 Newry North
    45 BBC 2 Armagh
    45 BBC 2 Black Mountain
    45 BBC 2 Conlig
    45 BBC 2 Draperstown
    45 BBC 2 Kilkeel
    45 BBC 2 Larne
    45 BBC 2 Moneymore
    45 BBC 2 Newry South
    46 UTV Banbridge
    46 BBC 2 Carnmoney Hill
    46 BBC 2 Cushendall
    46 UTV Rostrevor Forest
    47 Ch4 Newry North
    48 BBC 2 Banbridge
    48 BBC 1 Bellair
    48 DTT Mux C Divis
    48 BBC 1 Rostrevor Forest
    48 BBC 1 Whitehead
    49 UTV Armagh
    49 UTV Black Mountain
    49 UTV Conlig
    49 UTV Draperstown
    49 UTV Kilkeel
    49 UTV Larne
    49 UTV Moneymore
    49 UTV Newry South
    50 Ch4 Banbridge
    50 Ch4 Carnmoney Hill
    50 Ch4 Cushendall
    50 Ch4 Rostrevor Forest
    51 BBC 1 Newry North
    52 UTV Bellair
    52 UTV Whitehead
    53 Ch4 Leitrim
    54 Ch4 Camlough
    54 Ch4 Dromore
    54 Ch4 Glenariff
    54 Ch4 Glynn
    54 Ch4 Newtownards
    55 BBC 2 Bangor
    55 BBC 1 Newcastle (NI)
    56 BBC 2 Bellair
    56 BBC 2 Whitehead
    57 BBC 1 Leitrim
    58 BBC 1 Camlough
    58 BBC 1 Dromore
    58 BBC 1 Glenariff
    58 BBC 1 Glynn
    58 BBC 1 Newtownards
    59 UTV Bangor
    59 UTV Newcastle (NI)
    60 UTV Leitrim
    61 UTV Camlough
    61 UTV Dromore
    61 UTV Glenariff
    61 UTV Glynn
    61 UTV Newtownards
    62 BBC 1 Bangor
    62 NVTV Ballygomartin (Belfast)
    62 BBC 2 Newcastle (NI)
    63 BBC 2 Leitrim
    64 BBC 2 Camlough
    64 BBC 2 Dromore
    64 BBC 2 Glenariff
    64 BBC 2 Glynn
    64 BBC 2 Newtownards
    65 Ch4 Bangor
    65 Ch4 Newcastle (NI)
    67 Ch4 Bellair
    67 Ch4 Whitehead

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

wonder what the erp is? has to be very low. And, who "Is" going to watch this?>!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

It's reported on D****** S** that they are on Channel 59 using a max 1kW erp. I'd say the low ERP is to protect Limavady and Kippure, though it doesn't explain why there's an obvious clash with Bangor.

Hi Culabula, unless you have a wideband aerial, it will be pretty bad reception as CH 59 is way outside the range of most Belfast Aerials which are group A, though some looking DTT will have upgraded. Anyone with an RTE aerial diplexed in as well, will get a terrible picture as apart from pointing the wrong way, the group C/D will be vertical and pointing to Co. Louth - though they wouldn't need to go looking as they would already have TG4 anyway.

Maybe there is a null towards Bangor or maybe theyre relying on the fact that Bangor is on different polorisation and precision offset ????

Adds: I was out in the car with a handheld LCD TV Could get all five Divis/Black Mountain channels perfect but not a trace of TG4 other than from Claremont. If theyre only going to run 1Kw if seems a rather pointless exercise unless of course the 1kw is just for test and theyre planning on upping it :confused:

• Advertisement

SRB wrote:
    Hi Culabula, unless you have a wideband aerial, it will be pretty bad reception as CH 59 is way outside the range of most Belfast Aerials which are group A, though some looking DTT will have upgraded. Anyone with an QUOTE]

Thanks for this: I have just an indoor aerial which I use for DTT with perfect results. The analogue reception of TG4 is just a curio for me as I have it perfectly on SKY anyway (albeit 4:3, grrrrrrrrrr).

wonder what the erp is? has to be very low
    Reportedly 1kw (i.e. 1/500 of the other channels)
    And, who "Is" going to watch this
    All the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS :rolleyes: of fluent Gaelic speakers who supposedly live in Northern Ireland minus those who are out of range of the flea powered out of group signal and minus those who already have Irish TV anyway

i.e. aproximately three people (and their cat)

Ironically if they put a 1 kilowatt DTT multiplex on Ch 59 from Divis carrying the four Irish channels and perhaps NVTV they might have got a few people tuning in (even me the odd time -I hear they have some good films)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Ironically if they put a 1 kilowatt DTT multiplex on Ch 59 from Divis carrying the four Irish channels and perhaps NVTV they might have got a few people tuning in (even me the odd time -I hear they have some good films)

That would be funny, Irish channels on Uk DTT, before an Irish one can be set up.

)

Actually they have excellent programmes all round -the fillums are great but so is their home-produced output making it consistently the best Irish channel bar none.

Never mind the bandwidth, look at the quality.

That would be funny, Irish channels on Uk DTT, before an Irish one can be set up

Indeed although I have heard unconfirmed reports of test transmissions in Dublin on Ch 26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It's reported on D****** S** that they are on Channel 59 using a max 1kW erp. I'd say the low ERP is to protect Limavady and Kippure, though it doesn't explain why there's an obvious clash with Bangor.

Bangor's power is very low. The transmitter seems only to be designed for the Brunswick Road/Queen's Parade area - i.e. the western bit of the town centre near the seafront. The power is very low; I tried picking Bangor up from a house about a mile from that transmitter and couldn't, so there won't be a problem in Belfast!

The TV aerials near the Bangor transmitter all seem to be pointing at Divis, so I've always wondered what its raison d'etre is.

yes...but if someone in Bangor wants to pick up TG4 from Divis and throws up a high mast and an amp, they probably will get CCI from the Bangor TX even if it is only running at 3.5w. Likewise the 1KW Newcastle TX can be picked up perfectly as far north as the Cairnshill area of South Belfast, so this will possibly result in CCI for anyone trying to pull in TG4 there.

It is available on Ch 59 here in Dunmurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭mrdtv

Whoever decided to put TG4 on Ch 59 analogue from Black Mt at low power needs to be fired or was it, he said tongue in cheek, sabotage by certain obstructionist elements within the NIO?

The Freedom of Information Act should be used to requisition details about the HAAT, ERP and nulls in this low powered candle.

A plethora of problems can be envisaged: Ch 59 is outside the legacy group A aerials for Divis, there is a separation angle between Divis and Black Mt of around 5 degrees, the reported ERP of 1kW is a joke compared even to analogue Ch 5 from Black Mt at 50kW. There are CCI problems with local Newcastle and Bangor repeaters, and the service area will be circumscribed to the North by Limavady and along the East Down coast by Winter Hill which can be picked up there.

Relatives who tuned in last night in Belfast with clear line of sight to both Black Mt and Divis and an outdoor Group A aerial were confronted with a CCIR Grade 3 picture whereas same 30 year old antenna does the business perfectly on BBC/ITV/C5 and all 6 Divis DTT multiplexes including the low power Channel 48 multiplex.

The decision to use analogue for TG4 terrestrial distribution is probably one of the most singularly stupid strategic decisions in years as:

a) It is out of either Group A (legacy Divis) or Group K (Divis analogue/DTT)

b) Its HAAT is bound to be very low to minimise CCI to Limavady and Winter Hill: there will be a null towards Bangor (not that the good old boys on the Gold Coast will be watching TG4!)

c) It is not colocated with Divis which means aerial and ghosting problems

d) Its coverage is severely CCI limited by the local repeaters and in the Northern and South Eastern parts of the Divis service area

e) Anybody with a vertically polarised Clermont Carn aerial will get a terrible TG4 signal from Black Mt..

f) To get a decent analogue TG4 Black Mt signal the punter is going to have to buy a high gain wideband and highly directional antenna like the Fracarro digital gold which will then have to be attenuated because of signal overload on BBC/ITV/Five!

g) With Freeview boxes now on sale for £39 it would have made more sense to press this 1kW frequency into service for a COFDM DVB-T signal. They could then have radiated RTE1, Net2, TV3 and TG4 from Black Mountain or Divis. The economics would have made better sense as TG4's DTT transmission costs would be 25% of the analogue transmission and the others have been keen to extend their coverage for years.

h) The net effect of a DTT RoI rebroadcast service would have been to drive DTT penetration up in the Divis transmission area and accelerate the analogue shutdown.

This is a strategic farce without equal: it preserves the existing television distribution arrangements in the Belfast area in aspic (which may have suited elements in the NIO, NTL as they redistribute RTE1/2 on the cable network, the analogue transmission costs will be higher, and UTV will face less advertising competition on its home turf as TV3 is not carried via cable). Of course the whole project will look extremely shaky if Sky ever manages to secure NI rights for RTE1/2/TV3 which may not happen anytime soon although the reverse is likely when ITV1 goes clear in due course as C4 will follow suit.

The TG4 Ch59 analogue Black Mt transmitter has the dubious distinction of possibly being the last analogue TV transmitter commissioned in Britain or Ireland. It should be shut down straightaway and replaced by a DTT multiplex to provide a high quality TG4 service.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marksi

The decision to broadcast TG4 from a Belfast transmitter was made by politicians devoid of the necessary knowledge to know whether it was technically feasible, which, as you can now see, it is not. Not on analogue anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged all the various TG4/NI related threads - please keep to this one.

Remember also that the launch date for TG4 is Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyperry

I can confrim that the channel is broadcasting from Davis on CH59.

I was able to pick up a signal this evening in my mums 22 miles away and the picture was ok.

Not great but watchable. There was a little pattern in the picture but that maybe newcastle (UTV) on 59.

I will be trying mastheads soon but will wait and I see if the power is turned up!

1 mile south off Downpatrick if anyone is intrested.

Hi Micky, you may find it's actually TG4 from Kippure causing the patterning as it can be received quite well as far as Crossgar Co Down. The amp will only make it worse as it's the same polarity as TG4 Belfast. Anyhow, do let us know how you get on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

mrdtv
    sabotage by certain obstructionist elements within the NIO?
    Nine out of ten times these things are down to cockup rather than conspiricy
    With Freeview boxes now on sale for £39
    £30 if you look hard enough
    Anybody with a vertically polarised Clermont Carn aerial will get a terrible TG4 signal from Black Mt..
    If they already have a Claremont Carn aerial then why on earth would they need Black mountain ?

Agree 100% with the rest of your post though

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyperry

Dear SRB,

I know that the signal is coming from Belfast as Crossgar is only 6 miles from me I use to install Aerials in mid Down and I now sell them for a living!

Not to be smart with you!

Micky, I meant the CCI patterning may be coming from Kippure. As well as Newcastle, TG4 from Kippure is also on 59 and is horizontal, Newcastle is vertical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dont some parts of Co Down blocked from Claremont get RTE from Kippure (TG4 Ch 59) Will the Divis transmissions not spoil their reception and therfore be rather counterproductive since the few people who can get Ch59 from Divis (or is it Black Mountain ?) probably already get TG4 perfectly well on Ch 68 from Claremont ?

Mind you It was always going to be difficult finding space for a new TG4 relay given that the UHF band in the British Isles was originnally only intended to carry 4 services and in Belfast there are already crammed into 46 frequencies

The Four main UK channels
    Channel Five
    Northern Visions (RSL)
    Four Irish Channels
    Six digital multiplexes
    Overspill from Scotland
    loads of relay stations (some like the aforementioned Bangor one only covering a couple of streets) many (probably unnecessairly) using seperate sets of channels
    Adjacent transmitters (Limavady, Brougher, Kippure, Monaghan, Holywell Truskmore, Black hill, Cambert Hill, Durris etc etc etc)
    Taboo channels (Image, IF and adjacent from all the above)
    Satellite decoders, Videos, DVD's, Playstations, Videosenders (legal and otherwise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭mrdtv

Actually the ones that can be received fairly regularly in the higher parts of Belfast are:

Caldbeck, Sandale, Portpatrick, Cambret Hill, not Darvel as that is cochannel with Divis DTT, and Claremont Carn. Not Monaghan or Holywell Hill. Kippure can also be received (VHF) but that is erratic compared to Clermont Carn.

Along the East Down coast you can receive Caldbeck, Sandale, Cambret Hill, various IoM repeaters, Winter Hill, Moel-y-Parc, Llandona, Clermont Carn and Kippure (VHF and UHF).. A very cluttered spectrum.

Along the North Antrim coast you can receive Darvel and Black Hill in parts.

Of course with Sky Digital you can have the whole lot as shortly the remaining big ITV subregions not on satellite will be added...

Dont some parts of Co Down blocked from Claremont get RTE from Kippure (TG4 Ch 59) Will the Divis transmissions not spoil their reception and therfore be rather counterproductive since the few people who can get Ch59 from Divis (or is it Black Mountain ?) probably already get TG4 perfectly well on Ch 68 from Claremont ?

In a word YES ! Kippure is now totally unwatchable on CH59. TG4 from Three Rock can also be received in parts of East Down, though the signal is variable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement