Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Filter problem

Options
  • 04-03-2005 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a DSL modem/wireless access point combo from PCWorld, and the pack also included a DSL filter. However, the filter has british plugs on it, and can't use it as such. I took it back to the shop and asked for a replacement, and it turns out: 1) "we don't have any left", 2) "we're allowed to sell communication equipment with british plugs, because we're a british company" and 3) "you can go across the road to Maplin and find what you need".
    I haven't had the time to escalate the issue with a supervisor, nor did I go across the street (yet!).
    If I can't get this resolved through amiable ways with the store, do you think it's possible to have the filter "adjusted", the DIY way? I got enough RJ11 cables, so I could take this filter apart and connect the appropriate wires to it to make it usable. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    JP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

there something like 2.50 in maplins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

You could rip it apart and solder the wires in place but you could also just buy a converter for a few euro. Im actually suprised they are allowed to sell british phone equipment just cause they are a british company that sounds like bull to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

any shop can sell whatever they like, as long as the material in question isnt illegal.

id bet money on the box having a list of contents printed on the side.

most people will check this as we've all gone home at one stage or another, minus a plug / lead / switch etc.
    if not, lesson leanred imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Under your rights as a consumer you are entitled to buy goods that work, i.e. fit for use, in your case the router cannot be used because they have not supplied the correct filter, therefore you have a right to take it back and ask for a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Chalk wrote:
    there something like 2.50 in maplins.
    That cheap? On their website says 5 sterling, but I'll check the shop anyway.
    Kristok wrote:
    You could rip it apart and solder the wires in place but you could also just buy a converter for a few euro. Im actually suprised they are allowed to sell british phone equipment just cause they are a british company that sounds like bull to me.
    Same website says 5 sterling for one adaptor US/BT, and I need two, BT plug to RJ11 socket and RJ11 plug to BT socket. The filter has a BT plug to connect to the phone wall socket and a BT socket to plug the phone into.
    Kristok wrote:
    Im actually suprised they are allowed to sell british phone equipment just cause they are a british company that sounds like bull to me.
    I forgot to mention that the customer care individual also said they have problems like this every day, since all the modems they sell have british conectors, and he's raised the issue with his superior, so it's not his problem anymore. I think he said at least three times "not my problem".
    Gosh wrote:
    Under your rights as a consumer you are entitled to buy goods that work, i.e. fit for use, in your case the router cannot be used because they have not supplied the correct filter, therefore you have a right to take it back and ask for a full refund.
    That's correct, but I don't want to give up the stuff just because the filter didn't match. I only wanted a replacement filter. BTW, I paid 100 euro for a package containing the access point/DSL modem and a USB dongle, and it seemed like a good deal.
    If it only takes €2.50 extra for another filter, I'll still be happy. But to spend €10-15 more means an increase of total product price by 10-15%!

Thank you all for your input. I'll pay another visit tomorrow to the PCWorld Customer Care staff, then I'll try Maplin.

Cheers,
    JP

• Advertisement
Advertisement