Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of Wisdom

Options
  • 04-03-2005 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted one of those mini-features on Channel 4 where celebrities give their favourite curse word / saying etc. This one was where the different celebrities were asked to give their motto in life. Some of them were the typical throw-away lines like "we're here for a good time, not a long time" etc Anyway it got me to wondering about the vast number of users here on boards.ie and the collective wisdom of us as a group.

So, imagine your son or daughter to be asking you for the most important piece of advice you have to give. What is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Check your date for artifical limbs - when you're in bed, it's too late.

On a more serious note: I guess it's a plain and simple "Live a full life - experience the good, ride out the bad and sample everything inbetween". That's all we can really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The most important advice you will ever give anyone is

"Talk to a lawyer!"

Seriously, most people know jack sh*t about most things. If there is anything that is actually serious going on in your life you need legal advice because that is going to spring up and bite you in the ass if you don't (eg. divorse, seperation, death, children, unemployment).

It often amazes me the number of people I know who don't know the legal status of things in their lifes, like friends who own a house together, or an unmarried couple with a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

I tell my daughter to try and Live Everyday Like its Her Last. I'm a very positive person and its rubbed off on her thankfully and she sees the good in most situations which I'm happy about.

My Nanny gave me good advice too when I was younger and jealous of someone she said "Jealousy will get you nowhere". She said to use my negative energy and turn it into positive energy and do something good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

everybody smoke pot

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

do whatever makes you happy
    and
    hedonism is the new religion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

can I go twice? :p

"learn the difference between pleasure and happiness"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Course you can Wicknight, I intend to :)

"It is in the dew of small things the heart finds it's morning and is refreshed" - Kahlil Gibran

The best piece of advice I was ever given, texted to me by an ex girlfriend whilst I was going through a bad patch. Finding pleasure in the small things in life is, imho, the key to happiness.

"brush your teeth. They have a tendacy to fall out if you don't"

and

"apply a 3second rule to women. Don't think, approach."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

'Look after your knees'
    'Deny everything'
    'There's great stength in gentleness'

The last one has stood the test of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

"Fidarsi e bene, non fidarsi e meglio"
    (To trust is good, not to trust is better.)

"Un pelo di fica tira piu di un carro di buoi"
    (A single hair from a pussy pulls harder than a cart of oxen)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

You gotta fight for every breath and tell death to go to hell.

Don't wait for someone too long because you could miss the person waiting for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Fidarsi e bene, non fidarsi e meglio"
    (To trust is good, not to trust is better.)

"Un pelo di fica tira piu di un carro di buoi"
    (A single hair from a pussy pulls harder than a cart of oxen)
    You gotta love Italian cynacism, got any more of those TC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Your born Screaming, covered in blood and then a doctor hits you in the ass , then it gets worse ( Forget who said that but i like it).

There are a few thing sofr a perfect job, Great money , great people to work with and a job you love to do. This was said to me by my Grandad and i've tried to live it.I've only every had 2 out of 3 though .. in mixed combinations.

my own advice,

Live the life you want, for me it's having a family i love around me , and them loving me back , i could be a road sweeper , but at least i have my family behind me.

and on the comedy note :

Money doesn't buy happyness, but it does by everything that goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Sleepy wrote:
    So, imagine your son or daughter to be asking you for the most important piece of advice you have to give. What is it?

"The World is Hell, and mankind is on one hand the tormented, and on the other he is the Devil in it." - Arthur Schopenhauer

(To paraphrase Mr. Schopenhauer: We all suffer and we all inflict suffering.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

'Live every like its your last' is quite possibly the worst advice you could give anyone. Ever.

Do you want your son and daughter to live their life raping, pillaging, killing and scorning?
    Should I go to that Doctor's appointment? Nah, screw it, i'd rather steal from the shop and go bungee jumping!
    I've got cancer? Screw kemotheraphy I've got tango lessons!
    etc.,

My advice, while not the best, is something I'd wish I listened to;
    Fascination with procrastination is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

What I do today is important because I am paying a day of my life for it. What I accomplish must be worthwhile because the price is high.
    Not sure what that's from but made me think about sitting in bed surfing the web for the past 2 hours :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement