Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick of rap?

Options
  • 03-03-2005 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

my taste in rap/hip hop music has changed a lot since i first started listening. im now more into what i consider true rap music, ie arrested development, a tribe called quest etc. im just wondering if any of you find yourselves getting sick of listening to rappers going on about killing people and their big rims and so on. nowadays the lyrics are all so alike, hardly anybody is really being inventive (except for the likes of outkast). am i the only one who notices this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you listen to what's in the charts then you hear alot of that kind of thing.
    Looking outside of the charts and checking out artists on more indie labels and you find these topics are almost non-existent.
    Before the Aftermath brigade come barging into the thread calling us snobs, just listen to some of the music

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I generally dont listen to modern rap music as a rule, still have respect for old skool stuff and rappers with messages and causes but like most of the music industry these days, rap is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I generally dont listen to modern rap music as a rule, still have respect for old skool stuff and rappers with messages and causes but like most of the music industry these days, rap is a joke.
    I think fEminem is a perfect example of that. All of the best music is part of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

It has gone a bit mainstream and weird with the whole Aftermath etc dominance thing. I think people get the wrong idea on here when you say you like some of this stuff, I mean we all dont sit at home and listen to only this non stop?

Listen to it *all*, get your ipod and throw on *all* your hip hop and listen to it all, Dre, 50, Em, Run DMC, Old Mixtapes, Beastie Boys, Gangstarr, Tribe etc

And dont forget you can always slag off all the above music and listen to Belgian underground hip hop and then you can slag EVERYONE off on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

True rap is gone crap :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lamar

true...rap these days just sucks....all you hear is so called "rappers" talkin bout bitches cars and jewelry..
    the days of pac biggie easy-e kurupt etc are long gone and are now replaces with complete ****ing sellouts like 50 and dickriders like jay-z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well, I know sfa about rap/hip-hop.. but I know enough to know there's stilll fantastic music being made in the genre

handsome boy modelling school - white people. everybody should hear this album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

these days rappers are using really well produced music to hide average lyrics. take the games new song, how we do, great production but if you listen to the lyrics they arent great. bring back the days of simple beats and great lyrics and a lot of these lads wouldnt make it. just listen to public enemy or early mobb deep and youll know what i mean. dr. dre could even make me a number 1 selling rapper if he wanted (a bit of an exageration but you know what i mean).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

thafitz wrote:
    hardly anybody is really being inventive (except for the likes of outkast).

Outkast are not innovative. Outkast are simply sh1te,however due to their wacky off the wall style theyve managed to con people into thinking it is a type of innovation or something unique. I liked Outkast 4 odd years ago when i was about 14,but thats because their sh1te was aimed exactly at that age group, too old for Will Smith but not yet arsed about Biggie Smalls age group. Agree on How We Do, its a good beat but too many sentences end in the "uuaah" sound.
    Makaveli wrote:
    Before the Aftermath brigade come barging into the thread calling us snobs, just listen to some of the music

Am i the only one who realises that the reason these artists dont sell is BECAUSE NOWHERE STOCKS THEIR ****ING RECORDS? Like,every time i go online i hear praises being sang of the likes of MF Doom,Roots Manuva and Sage Francis. Last week i saw the first ever actual CD cover of a roots m record in my life in HMV. Few days ago,saw my first ever Sage Francis CD box in Virgin. Maybe its a trend they are starting to pick up on now i dunno,but as a rule HMV and the like dont stock 99% of this stuff. Its simply so much effort to find that nobody can be arsed. I cant think of one person in the real world who have heard of these lads to be quite honest,the reason they dont sell is because they arent promoting themselves well enough. Im just vary wary of throwing away £££ on artists whos voice i never even heard before,based on somebody elses recommendations. Based on the rec of many,if i knew **** about rap but wanted to get into it id run out now and buy a few recent Outkast CDs-it still doesnt mean they werent utter sh1te,just cos someone thought otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

as a rule HMV and the like dont stock 99% of this stuff
    HMV as a rule don't sell any underground stuff from any genre. They are there to make money, so they go with what will make money. 50, Justin Timberlake, Avril Lavigne etc, etc, etc....

It's funny when you hear people rambling on about how all rap music is about "guns/bitches/gangbangin'" etc, etc cause to be honest, it's just showing that you don't know anything about the genre. I know that sounds like elitist ****, but it is true.
    It's the same as walking into a group of people talking about metal, and saying
    "Yeah man, Linkin Park. They ****ing r0x0rz."
    They'll laugh in your face and say that's not metal. It's the same here. I am going to take the piss out of you if you say Chingy's the best rapper in the world. Cause he's not, all he does and people like him is perpetuate the myth that all rap is about is guns bitches and gangbanging and it point blank isn't.

For instance, look at Mordeth's thread asking for bands to check out. I really don't think many people will know most of the bands posted. Stuff like Ugly Duckling, Aesop Rock, Tribe, Souls of Mischief, Handsome Boy is all innovative, quality hip hop. Most of it has nothing to do with guns and bitches. That's hip hop, that's the kind of music I like. I don't listen to stuff like Dre or Fifty or the Game cause there's nothing there I can relate too (drive bys?!? In South Dublin, I don't think sooo...) or even kick back with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Personlally I hate 99% of the stuff comming out these days but every now and then you get a jem and its always been like that I think some of you forget all the crap that came out in the days of rakim etc. its always been 99% crap 1% quality.

Noone is called a snob for not liking a certain kind of music your a snob if you belittle someone else for liking it.

Aftermath just happen to be the big label at the moment before them everyone was saying hip hop was dead everything sounds like def jam and before them the same was said about bad boy and death row before that. Its just a trend its time will be up eventually and some other label will be blamed for the death of hip hop. There is still music out there for people who dont like the current trend you just have to look around but the simple stuff with a good beat will always be the no.1's cause its the kids who buy it not the old heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

If you only listen to mainstream rap then you can surely think that rap music sucks!

It's like Primo said "just cos someone raps that don't make them Hip Hop".

If you listen to the likes of Blackalicious, Jedi Mind Tricks, Dilated Peoples, J5, Immortal Technique you realise there is stuff there that can inspire you. There is people with a passion for the music and not just the dollar.

Just my 1/25th of a Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Am i the only one who realises that the reason these artists dont sell is BECAUSE NOWHERE STOCKS THEIR ****ING RECORDS? Like,every time i go online i hear praises being sang of the likes of MF Doom,Roots Manuva and Sage Francis. Last week i saw the first ever actual CD cover of a roots m record in my life in HMV. Few days ago,saw my first ever Sage Francis CD box in Virgin. Maybe its a trend they are starting to pick up on now i dunno,but as a rule HMV and the like dont stock 99% of this stuff. Its simply so much effort to find that nobody can be arsed. I cant think of one person in the real world who have heard of these lads to be quite honest,the reason they dont sell is because they arent promoting themselves well enough. Im just vary wary of throwing away £££ on artists whos voice i never even heard before,based on somebody elses recommendations. Based on the rec of many,if i knew **** about rap but wanted to get into it id run out now and buy a few recent Outkast CDs-it still doesnt mean they werent utter sh1te,just cos someone thought otherwise

You have an internet connection, download a song or two, see if you like them, if you do order the album online, if you don't have access to a credit card why not ask someone with one to do it for you. If you don't want to buy stuff off peoples recommendations, which is perfectly fair, then you'll have to stick with what you hear on the radio/tv or go source some of the music yourself. It's not hard, how do you think most of us hear music that doesn't get radio or tv air time?

Roots Manuva albums have been in HMV since Run Come Save Me, they haven't just started stocking them since Awfully Deep was released. The chances of finding an MF Doom album in HMV are almost zero though. Like Can Ox says they stock what sells, they don't bother stocking lesser known artists because they wont make enough money off the sales. Anyway, Tower is a far better shop for artists of this nature.

As for Outkast, just because you think they are shít it doesn't mean those that recommendend them to you are wrong. You didn't like it they did, that's why people have personal tastes. So I'll just point you back to the first paragraph in this post, try before you buy.

Don't forget Outkast had, what? 3 albums before they made it big with Ms. Jackson. Players Ball is still a classic tune and the Aquemini album was inovative without being ****e. In fact it's a great album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Drum boy

Ay Cee wrote:
    Don't forget Outkast had, what? 3 albums before they made it big with Ms. Jackson. Players Ball is still a classic tune and the Aquemini album was inovative without being ****e. In fact it's a great album!

Seconded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

All the outkast albums where big they just sell more and more each time

Who'd have thought the same guy who did Players Ball would do Hey Ya!!!

Apparently their next album is their last. Because they haven't nothing in common, Big Boi says he barely knows who Dre is now.

Here's an interesting (maybe not) little fact. I used to DJ for a band and the guy that owned the record label was from Atlanta, his brother used to hang around with Outkast and according to him they are (were) very militant. Dead Prez, Black Panther stuff.

Ye wouldn't know it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

:D

There new album was pretty disapointing, ATliens is a decent enough album too.

Advertisement