Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland ranked highest in crappy ISP speeds

Options
  • 03-03-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading on a webby that I stumbled on, that Ireland is in the top3 of Europes worst internet speeds. The average speed in ireland is below 256k, due to alot of dialup.

I think there is alot of work to be done here yet. Everyone is all so happy and larry bout BB etc etc and Bertie licking his own ass about it. I'm in very touch in america and all the guys I know run of huge speeds like 10mb and more for cheaper then us,and they get free upgrades. I for one get 512k line that runs at bout 100k and a 8gb cap, tbh for the price is bull****.

So I'd like to know is there anyway to like upgrade my eircom line to something faster? or whats going on with ireland and its **** connections.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

At least SmartTelecom is paving for something better at an affordable price anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Welcome to Ireland.. Expect an announcement next week in regards to upgrading of lines from 512/128 to 1024/256 - Esat as far as I am aware are doing so and possibly doubling their cap with it.. Eircom are expected to do the same..

In the meantime, check out smart broadband - They are releasing a 2mbps product for 35 euro a month. http://www.smarttelecom.ie - I've already signed up for it. Depending on your area, you might not be able to avail of it for a few months - Check on the site for the release stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

basquille wrote:
    At least SmartTelecom is paving for something better at an affordable price anyways!

Got there before me..

dlofnep wrote:
    Got there before me..
    Yeah... must sign up myself but not sure exactly if i'm on Eircom for another 12 months contract!

My contract was up last December.. but i bought the wireless modem off them for E50 a month or two back. And there was a rumour on Boards that if you bought this modem, you'd be signed up for a further 12 months. I hope not!! When i bought it over the phone, they mentioned nothing over the phone to me but then again, Eircom wouldn't!

PS - brillant 'Clerks' quote in the sig, by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

no point in getting smart telecom, shortly after a lot of people left esat, eircom and utv for smart telecom, those last 3 will come out with same packages or better. At one point UTV might be on top and you'll want to switch again

• Advertisement

Subc wrote:
    no point in getting smart telecom, shortly after a lot of people left esat, eircom and utv for smart telecom, those last 3 will come out with same packages or better. At one point UTV might be on top and you'll want to switch again
    Eircom are now charging €55 for an 8 gig cap on a 512K line.

And you think they'll suddenly decide to give an offer with unlimited cap on a 2MB line for €35 or less.

I'd seriously doubt it! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Subc wrote:
    At one point UTV might be on top and you'll want to switch again

I doubt it - the quality of there service is terrible. And support.

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I was reading on a webby that I stumbled on, that Ireland is in the top3 of Europes worst internet speeds. The average speed in ireland is below 256k, due to alot of dialup.

What webby ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

in fact the existance of a cap is foolish. They barely save themselves any money, since wholesale bb isnt that expensive. Im not talking about eircom reselling it, im talking about eircom buying the lines from whoever

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

like i siad i stumbled never caught the name of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Seriously doubt Smart will be very influential in the evolution of broadband in ireland. The main reason being its limited availability...

X

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

dlofnep wrote:
    Welcome to Ireland.. Expect an announcement next week in regards to upgrading of lines from 512/128 to 1024/256 - Esat as far as I am aware are doing so and possibly doubling their cap with it.. Eircom are expected to do the same.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

I for one get 512k line that runs at bout 100k

ye wha?

100kB or 100kb ?

either your getting the impossible or your paying for a service your not receiveing.

which is it?

Advertisement