Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom do my head in!

Options
  • 03-03-2005 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anybody figure this out -
    All my numbers fail (2 business lines & 1 domestic) when I do the test for Broadband with Eircom & IOL. My phone line comes from an eircom junction box outside my house. This also serves my next door neighbour. He has broadband and I can see his WiFi network on my laptop. Eircom do not want to help in anyway. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

He may have broadband, doesn't necessarily mean he has adsl :p ... and have you actually seen his physical connection to the same junction box as you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Why not call in to your next door neighbour and ask him to share his wifi network and broadband connection with you and you will split the bill with him!!! :)

I've seen your scenario before. The line tests on eircom site don't always work. If you haven't already rung esat/eircom and tried placing an order... do so! Get them to do an engineer test. I think that's what they call it and it's a manual check of your phone number. You might have some luck that way!

Otherwise... ask your neighbour! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

The cause is probably your internal wiring or the equipment connected to the internal wiring. I had a similar problem and got another line in using existing feed from exchange connected to new internal point. This sorted out my issue and line test passed. So the advice here is check you internals or get a new line in.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

10er say if you ring eircom faults dept. and say there an intermittent noise on the line when your talking to someone they tell you that there seems to be a problem on the line.

Then you'll have an eircom eng. call. He'll find nothing wrong and leave. Keep calling eircom faults and saying that there’s still an INTERMITTENT problem with the noise when your talking.

They'll keep sending a eng. out and eventually after around the 6th or 7th time eircom will get so pi**ed off sending people out that they'll just run a new line (not a split line) from the exchange outside your gaff. Then you'll get a pass on your line but make sure internally you only have one phone connected to the line and internally no breaks on the line you want to for the BB when they run the test of the 17th or 18th(I think). It worked for me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

The 'test' they run isn't actually live, they work it from a database of numbers, so if any work has been done remotely recently its quite possible that you may be able to receive BB, its just they haven't updated their database. Of course the peon you get on the phone probably won't understand what you're on about when you ask them to check properly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,676 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Entro

Same thing happened me with eircom last year, said my line wasn't suitable after one of there reps rang up and sold me the idea. Got my brother to ring up and he asked could he get broadband, he was told he couldn't either even thou he was an eircom broadband customer for the past year. I rang back and asked to talk to a superviser and he got my line manually checked, turns out I was suitable. They are just working off an out of date database. Demand a line test. But if you do eventually order it be prepared to wait while they f**k it up for a few monhts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

They are just working off an out of date database. Demand a line test

My mistake, I thought I just said that? Must be losing my marbles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Do what Pauly26 said that worked for me a year ago but they actually found a problem on the line coming into the house, even though the phone was always perfect and dial up speeds where perfect too. You just got to lie about noise on the line they have to fix that kind of thing even if they cant see it from a test.

Advertisement