Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cable modem & D-Link router

Options
  • 02-03-2005 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi
    My Clicksilver contract is up soon so Ive been looking at my options. I'd love to go with Smart but I'm on the Cabra exchange with no date for upgrade. Thankfully NTL are in the area so their 1.5 meg line looks pretty good.
    The question is can I share out the ADSL connection. My current setup has 4 PC's, 2 are wireless and 2 using cat 5, connected tru a D-Link DSL-G604T modem/router. So can I just uplink the NTL supplied cable modem to the D-Link and away I go or is the more involved? Is there a diffinite answer i.e. from someone who has done it with the same or similar equipment. Tks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Yes you can. I have a similar setup in place.

Its not ADSL btw, its cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You might want to note that you cant use an ASDL router with the NTL modem as the NTL modem uses a Cable TV connection. I checked the type of router your using and thats meant for DSL only. You need a different router like the D-Link DI-624+ that has a WAN ethernet input port so you can connect to the NTL modems ethernet port. DSL routers have a RJ-11 connection port instead of an RJ-45 which you need to connect the Router to the cable modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Also I'd guess that the inbuild DSL modem would get confused and clash with the NTL modem if you plugged the RJ45 from the NTL modem into a port on the D-Link.

I have a very similar D-Link modem and was told that it was useless if I got NTL in.

Advertisement