Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to cancel Esat BB Trial, legalities

Options
  • 02-03-2005 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

When I ordered my 3 month Esat BB Trial I asked the customer services rep if the onus was on me to remember when my trial period was ending.

She told me no. She said I could relax and that a letter would be sent when my trial period was coming to a close which would give me ample time to cancel my BB.

This letter was never sent. I unknowingly went over my trial period by around 15 days and when I called with a technical problem I was informed I was in a fourth month free and a 12 month contract.

When I asked about the letter they said "sorry". The letter was never sent because of an error on their system but that the onus was on me to be counting the days. 150euro charged to cancel they said.

After much argument and discussion they're now saying I owe 39.99 for the 15 days or so that I went over. They want me to drop the modem and a cheque in to the Esat offices.

They didn't follow through with what they promised. They apologised for the error. They expect me to pay for it.

Where do I stand with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If they acknowledged that the error was theirs then you owe them nothing. Drop the modem back to them, but no cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

drop Bill Murphy an email. He's the CEO of ESAT. Usually gets back within a few hours.

When things have gotten bad for me with Esat Broadband in the past I mailed him and he made it all ok.

PM me if you want his address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

On a different note with Esat and their free trial. I did keep a note of the date that my trial was up and emailed and called ESAT to cancel the service. That was fine, and then the other day there was a direct debit of €185.61 taken from my account by ESAT. Called them up as soon as their lines were open(8:30am) and got talking to a guy about the issue. He told me that it was on my account that I had cancelled and that it was their mistake and I should expect a cheque in the post by mid-March. So am keeping an eye out on the postman...
    Their mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Ah, Esat up to their old tricks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Seems they like to make "mistakes", I suppose they like to take there chances aswell by debiting €uros from accounts, making out the mistake is with the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I had Esat's free trial and I received no letter either. However, I was aware of when the trial was up and attempted to return the modem to them by hand, only to be told that they don't deal with such things! They gave me an address in Walkinstown and as I was in the area, I attempted to return it by hand rather than post it. Guess what? I was tild they don't deal with personal callers. The place is a logistics and handling company and they operate in a 'secure unit' where nobody can get in or out without jumping through all sorts of hoops!

So I was beside this place witht he modem all wrapped up and I was told I'd have to post it to them! I had visions of getting leters or phone calls saying I hadn't returned it, so made sure it was recorded. Thankfully no problems arose, but I found it incredible that I couldn't drop it into their offices.

I would say that in view of them saying it was their fault, then I would return the modem, by recorded delivery but with no cheque.

Good luck

Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Well I have to say that I did receive a letter from ESAT when my trial was coming to an end but I think this was because they took an extra month and a half to get me set up!

I wouldn't pay them a penny, give them their modem and nothing else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭daire

O.k. but does anyone actually know the legalities of it? They say (even after emailing Bill Murphy and him looking into it) that I have to pay for the service I used after the trial... 25 days. Comes to 32 euro. What legal mumbo jumbo can I quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if u used the service, then pay them fair is fair. 32 euro is bugger all for 4 months broad band anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭daire

Yeah, I figured that would be the way to go... out of interest anyway would I have had a legal argument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I doubt it, but IANAL. Talk to a solicitor if you want legal advice :)

Advertisement