Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL splitter with Fax

Options
  • 02-03-2005 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Is anyone using a fax machine on a DSL line?

Apparently using a DSL spliter (micro-filter) will work fine with some fax machines and cause problems with others.

So what makes of fax machines are people using with split DSL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I haven't tried it with my fax yet, but it should be fine. Dial up and BB work on the same line through a splitter. I think fax use similar frequencies to dialup.

Would be interested to learn if it does/doesn't work - I don't want to shell out for a fax that has issues with BB!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I'm using one with no problems. The only difficulty for me was that I needed a longer line from the filter to the fax and got a normal phone line made up. Had to go back and get the plugs rewired as I wasn't aware the fax line needed to be wired differently.

The fax I am using is a Brother FAX-T96, got it off Viking Direct.

Thanks Spunj!

Are you saying faxes don't use standard telephone cables? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Yep, I wasn't aware of it myself, that's why I didnt mention it when I went to get the cable made up. The guy in the shop cut the ends off and rewired it following the pins on the small cable I got with the fax.

With the long normal phone cable in, the fax kept saying that an extension was picked up even though there wasnt one in and I couldn't get a dial tone. If I pulled the fax closer to the wall, stuck in the short lead, got a dial tone then swapped to the long lead it would keep the dial tone until I hung up, then go back to the 'Extension picked up' message :)

Spunj = *

:D

Advertisement