Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Cap?

Options
  • 01-03-2005 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Do they cut you off temporarily if you go over or just charge you more?

Im using my landlords who lives upstairs and never uses his wireless ever. He must presume i dont dl movies and games cas he said i could use it for free!! :D

Im not sure how much i dl'ed but last week i could see the network but couldnt surf.

google.com could not be resolved said mozilla.

whats the story with that? Anyone recommend good software to track your dl's - must be more careful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

you can check at dslstats.eircom.net
    you need the phone number and eircom a.c number.

no one seems to have been charged for going over yet but theres a few trolls around here who like to think they know something everyone else doesnt.

caps are set to increase soon anyway so porbably nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Chalk wrote:
    you can check at dslstats.eircom.net
    you need the phone number and eircom a.c number.

no one seems to have been charged for going over yet but theres a few trolls around here who like to think they know something everyone else doesnt.

caps are set to increase soon anyway so porbably nothing to worry about.

This is not true, alot of people have been charged for going over it. There has been nothing official said that would suggest the cap is going to increase.

As i've said in other posts, they have upgraded the servers to enable them to start charging. Dont be suprised if you get charged for a backlog.

theyve had the capability to charge ffom the start according to others.

have you got one shred of evidence to back this up?
    do you work for eircom?

please explain your info source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I am MAN wrote:
    This is not true, alot of people have been charged for going over it. There has been nothing official said that would suggest the cap is going to increase.

As i've said in other posts, they have upgraded the servers to enable them to start charging. Dont be suprised if you get charged for a backlog.

I have it on good authority that Eircom are looking at both the cap size and/or the prices. Watch this space!

Dingatron wrote:
    I have it on good authority that Eircom are looking at both the cap size and/or the prices. Watch this space!

Well im sitting in Eircom now and I have heard nothing.

• Advertisement

i thought eircom dont tell there help line staff anyhting?

i also thought eircom employees are forbidden from posting on baords?

Chalk wrote:
    i thought eircom dont tell there help line staff anyhting?

i also thought eircom employees are forbidden from posting on baords?

Who said i'm helpline staff anyway? and of course the company has to keep employees updated with products.

Nothing in the contract says anything about posting on any form of message board or related., if they did not want anyone posting here they could prevent it very easily.

Loads and loads of Eircom employees view these boards, dont get paranoid though :)

sorry about the help line staff mixup.

can i assume then that you have been given permision by eircom to come on to boards ,and on the pretense thst you work for eircom, scare monger to there present customers about up coming bills ?

if you have , please confirm this so that i can cancel my trial and switch to another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I was on Eircoms package for the free trial back in september but while I went over the cap by nearly double the max limit, I never was charged for it. They are supposed to have started charging for going over the cap from last month but I haven't heard yet of anyone been charged for a backlog prior to february.

Chalk wrote:
    sorry about the help line staff mixup.

can i assume then that you have been given permision by eircom to come on to boards ,and on the pretense thst you work for eircom, scare monger to there present customers about up coming bills ?

if you have , please confirm this so that i can cancel my trial and switch to another provider.

No I have not been given permission or denied permission to use boards, Im a regular boards user from home and I also use it in work because I want to. I'm not trying to scare anyone and im just telling you what I know so if you dont want information dont read it.

I couldnt care less if you kept Eircom or not, it doesnt make a different to me.

• Advertisement

either way your oringial post makes no sense so id suggest you get your facts straight, or at least get some facts.

how have loads of people been charged for going over if there upgrading there servers to allow for charging.
    when did they perform these upgrades?
    who has been charged, or how many people.
    surely one ofn them must use boards and would have made a post about it?

typical eircom attitude with the "i dont care if you leave" nice one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I Am Man = I Am Full Of Sh**

They arent charging ANYONE and never have.
    They have always had the ability to charge but its not really in their best interest to do so, i know i for one will dump them the SECOND they charge for going over the limit.
    Bring on speed increases and cap increases though! Cmon Eircon get in line with the rest of europe

WellyJ

WellyJ wrote:
    I Am Man = I Am Full Of Sh**

They arent charging ANYONE and never have.
    They have always had the ability to charge but its not really in their best interest to do so, i know i for one will dump them the SECOND they charge for going over the limit.
    Bring on speed increases and cap increases though! Cmon Eircon get in line with the rest of europe

WellyJ

Excuse me?
    You ignorant prick.
    They will and have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Now now, no need for petty insults.

You cant come on here and come out with these BS revelations that have absoultely no proof behind them and expect anyone to believe them. Specially as lots of us are with Eircom BB and KNOW there is no charge and never has been, get back to work, you're probably a gardener or something for Eircom and that grass needs a trim.

WellyJ

WellyJ wrote:
    Now now, no need for petty insults.

You cant come on here and come out with these BS revelations that have absoultely no proof behind them and expect anyone to believe them. Specially as lots of us are with Eircom BB and KNOW there is no charge and never has been, get back to work, you're probably a gardener or something for Eircom and that grass needs a trim.

WellyJ

I dont care if anyone believes them or not, it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I am MAN and WellyJ banned for a week.

Great show, lads. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i believe eircom do charge but ONLY for their business packages with restricted caps, i know either iol or eircom l do and iol dont have uncapped business packages so it must be eircom. mayb i am a man is getting confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I am MAN wrote:
    Well im sitting in Eircom now and I have heard nothing.

Funny how the staff are always last to know. As I said a project has or is in the process of being set up to review the caps and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

In response to I am Man: @ EIRCOM (or so he says)

Will you tell the bloody Sales staff...no sorry all the managers at eircom sales etc that people where available ARE changing to other ISPs and ditching the OVERPRICING!.

The only reason Im stuck here on dual ISDN when I wanna game is cos of eircoms anti-competitive attitude, and eircoms overpriced under sized packages (hehe no pun intended), basically im talking about 'eircom phone watch' its installed here and I cant go with any other ISP WHY?

Also if eircom dont garauntee a line for data, do cutomers have to garauntee payment?

Should this continue for much longer this house will seize to pay and disontinue the monitoring costs @ €250 per annum, use the alarm just by itself...I mean if there is a break in what if the gardai cant call, what happens then???
    Anyway get rid of the ISDN and switch to U.TV where I wont even have to pay for local calls!!

People are switching to other ISPs and Using Skype!! Wake up before its too late, seriously, Sales staff are doing nothing!! No pitch, no product no nothing and soon it will fall back on them, therell be cut backs job losses thatll be the next thing "Eircom axes 200 in major restructu....blah blah"

Wake up smell the coffee (again no pun intended)
    People have had enough and ARE moving!

By the way why whenever I need something from eircom Im on hold minimum 10 minutes??? rang 1901 today got through after 10 minutes and the guy tranferred me to a girl and that took another 9 mins...what?

Oh and whos getting paid in comreg to do nothing about the whole state of telecoms in Ireland. Yes that also a dig regarding carrier prefix banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

No they havn't charged people for going over their cap's in the past, but they are starting now, starting this month afaik.

There's a major debt collection operation going on at the moment, last month they cut off 100's of indigo customer's for not paying this month they're moving on to broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

But what about my original question? Why cant i go online. Have eircom cut us off or is my landlord at something funny? I dont really want to ask him as he might be pissed off at me for dl'ing about 4 odd gigs in 3 weeks.
    i cant ask eircom as i havnt got any of the details on the account.
    Is it unheard of for eircom to block http port for excessive d'ling?
    I didnt think my landlord was able to turn on his pc let alone block me out!

its ungeard of for eircom to cut people off afaik.

check the router.

http://192.168.1.254
    see what the dsl status is.

if its waiting for dsl the landlord might have knocked the wire loose and since hes not using it , wouldnt notice.

if it says synch and has an ip address, assuming its a netopia and he hasnt installed anything on your pc, you should start troubleshooting a dodgy connection from your pc,
    ie spyware etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Thanks chalk.

I'll try that ip and see.

I doubt its spyware as i've gone online using the eircom payphone in rathmines only 2 days ago. It might be though as i installed some p2p software recently. I'll clean all those out too. If it is that i'll go fekin mad!!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Azezil - I just got my bill today and wasn't charged at all for going over my cap. Just the usual 2 months line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Flaccus wrote:
    Azezil - I just got my bill today and wasn't charged at all for going over my cap. Just the usual 2 months line rental.

same here, not charged :D but seeing as i am paying €54 a month for it i think i deserve an extra few G's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Monie

any idea what eircom are supposedly upping the dl limits to?

I'm thinking about switching to NTL simply cos 30gb a month is a hell of a lot better than 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Monie wrote:
    any idea what eircom are supposedly upping the dl limits to?

I'm thinking about switching to NTL simply cos 30gb a month is a hell of a lot better than 4...
    Switch to NTL because they are better in every bloody way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Got my bill yesterday, 8.4GB on 4GB cap, no charging for going over cap, whew !!

Advertisement