Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Racket thoughts

Options
  • 01-03-2005 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

I've been playing with a Wilson Hammer for some time now, but I find that the particular model I have it a tad head heavy, and I have since become a better player since I bought the racket two years ago.

What would you guys recommend for someone that plays mostly net play when in doubles action, but would need a racket for light balanced racket for singles too.

I've been thinking of going Babolat this time - cheaper than the usual "brand" names. I just cant tell the difference from one racket to the other, and how to best value one to match my skills.....

HELP (last new thread today, I promise ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Was doing some research there. I reckon I need a mid power/control racket. So was looking at either

Babolat Pure Drive Team

or

Wilson nCode n6 95

comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I've always played with Wilson, had a Prince raquet for a while, but found the sweet spot wasn't as large as the Wilson.

I like the look of the Babolat one you've linked to though.

I ended up buying an "as new" strung Wilson Hammer 6.2 (oversize head) off an english guy on ebay. €50 delivered, so I saved around €90 off the list price.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Nice! My mam plays with a Hammer (The images that conjours up are quite amusing) She finds it great.

I'm still trying to find the number for Fitzwilliam's shop for you GoneShotin'. It's not in the 01 phone book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

I also play at net and swear by my Slazenger ProCarbon Ti racquet.
    Very light - 108sq. inch. Might be worth a test. To be honest if you're intermediate and up you'll probably want one with a smaller head, around the 95-98 range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Amz wrote:
    I'm still trying to find the number for Fitzwilliam's shop for you GoneShotin'. It's not in the 01 phone book.
    It's listed under "Martyn Evans Sports". I haven't got access to a phone book atm, but it is definitely there.

Edit: Ah, the wonders of the internet, who needs an actual phone book! ;)

The number is 01 6606923

Ta John, rang em about the Tretorn MicroX's. €8 per tin of 3. I can get em for €7 at the local club, but its good to have another source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

Just bought a Wilson ncode n6. Really sweet racquet, slightly heavier in the head for good power and control balance. Cost me around E105 - but i bought it in Canada and got a fairly good deal. In Dublin Martyn Evans sports is definately the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭almostagassi

i think brand names are irrelevent.

martin evans sports have a practice wall where you can test 7-8 rackets. but they are really snobby in there, think they are 'know-it-alls' patronising. and its not cheap. pick your racket there, but order it from the internet.

if u are better than a class 6, i would go for a thinher, racket than a thick wilson hammer, it will give you more control but less power. but the problem is that the thinner the racket, the smaller the sweetspot.

i used to have a wilson hammer, but then got a prince triple threat. i think the brand names are irrelevent, but because it was thinner i got so much more control, my level of play is so much better.

Advertisement