Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Modem trouble?

Options
  • 01-03-2005 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

It's always interesting to hear consumer's horror stories and bad experiences they have had with large companies and organisations. I have been very fortunite to have never had an serious issues as a consumer... until now! :mad:

I know NTL are renound for having poor customer relations, but in my case it's truely taking the pi5s!

At the moment, I'm signed up for NTL Broadband Max. All was working fine for the first three months, and I was happy with the service. Then, it all started going wrong! :D My modem has a mind of it's own. It will only work when it feels like working, and that's not very often! The swine! :mad:

In January, I contacted NTL about the problem. After spending the best part of two hours on hold, I finally got through to a support representive. :D He insisted that my modem was not faulty, it must be a problem with my computer, and that he would send a technician out to my house to diagnose the problem. 'He'll be out to you on Wednesday afternoon, sir!'

Wednesday came... the technichian did'nt :) It was postponed to sometime the following Saturday, and thankfully he arrived. He messed around with my modem, and all was working fine again. :)

Last month it stopped, I contacted NTL and they said a technician, would be out to me again. I've been waiting about two weeks for him to call out to my house. And still no sign... My problem is, NTL insist on him arriving on a particular day, and I have to take the day off from college ext., and he never turns up! Can they do this? I keep getting fobbed off by the support guys, who basically don't want help me. It's like my home has blacklisted!! :confused:

Does anybody know if there is anyway of solving my modem problem myself? Diagnostics? Has anyone ever flashed the firmware on their modem themselves? I'd REALLY appriaciate anyone's help, as this problem is slowly but surely making me go crazy!! :mad:

Also, do i have a leg stand on, by taking a stance and refusing to pay my NTL bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

AlienGav wrote:
    It's always interesting to hear consumer's horror stories and bad experiences they have had with large companies and organisations. I have been very fortunite to have never had an serious issues as a consumer... until now! :mad:

I know NTL are renound for having poor customer relations, but in my case it's truely taking the pi5s!

At the moment, I'm signed up for NTL Broadband Max. All was working fine for the first three months, and I was happy with the service. Then, it all started going wrong! :D My modem has a mind of it's own. It will only work when it feels like working, and that's not very often! The swine! :mad:

In January, I contacted NTL about the problem. After spending the best part of two hours on hold, I finally got through to a support representive. :D He insisted that my modem was not faulty, it must be a problem with my computer, and that he would send a technician out to my house to diagnose the problem. 'He'll be out to you on Wednesday afternoon, sir!'

Wednesday came... the technichian did'nt :) It was postponed to sometime the following Saturday, and thankfully he arrived. He messed around with my modem, and all was working fine again. :)

Last month it stopped, I contacted NTL and they said a technician, would be out to me again. I've been waiting about two weeks for him to call out to my house. And still no sign... My problem is, NTL insist on him arriving on a particular day, and I have to take the day off from college ext., and he never turns up! Can they do this? I keep getting fobbed off by the support guys, who basically don't want help me. It's like my home has blacklisted!! :confused:

Does anybody know if there is anyway of solving my modem problem myself? Diagnostics? Has anyone ever flashed the firmware on their modem themselves? I'd REALLY appriaciate anyone's help, as this problem is slowly but surely making me go crazy!! :mad:

Also, do i have a leg stand on, by taking a stance and refusing to pay my NTL bill?

Where are you mate in Dublin? Is the lights on your Modem working? Is there any signal getting to the modem ? Have NTL to ping your modem.... and did they get a response?

Give more facts on the Modem, is it a power issue?

PAY NO BILLS !!

try this link :- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Hey guys, thanks for your replies :) And thanks for the linkie Drapper :D

Sorry for not giving you any info on the problem.

These are basically the lights that my modem is showing after being powered ON for 1 min...

Pwr - Working :)
    Enet - Working :)
    D/S - Flashing the odd time :confused:
    U/S - Flashing the odd time also :confused:
    SYNC - Flashing like CRAZY! :mad:
    RDY - Flashing like a pervert! :mad:

I'm going to have a look at site Drapper gave me, and see if I have any joy! :) I'll let you guys knows later how i get on.

And thank you for help ;)
    (oh, and i'm from Dublin 12.) :D
    -gav

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

AlienGav wrote:
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies :) And thanks for the linkie Drapper :D

Sorry for not giving you any info on the problem.

These are basically the lights that my modem is showing after being powered ON for 1 min...

Pwr - Working :)
    Enet - Working :)
    D/S - Flashing the odd time :confused:
    U/S - Flashing the odd time also :confused:
    SYNC - Flashing like CRAZY! :mad:
    RDY - Flashing like a pervert! :mad:

I'm going to have a look at site Drapper gave me, and see if I have any joy! :) I'll let you guys knows later how i get on.

And thank you for help ;)
    -gav

Gav test the power setting in the modem :- have you been able to get into the Modem ?
    Test the power settings against the NTL optimal settings upstream and down stream...... I bet you may have a issue here............

Advertisement