Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing my shotgun home to Ireland from US

Options
  • 01-03-2005 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Howdy Folks!
    I'm an Irishman living in Pennsylvania for the last 3 years, I've been bowhunting deer and getting into the american flavour of outdoors activities.

I want to buy a shotgun here (tons to chose from) and shoot at one of the many sportsmen clubs in the local area, But I want to know how do I go about bringing the gun home to Ireland should I return in a few years?

I have never had an Irish firearms license, not a member of an Irish gun club, have a clean record.

In the states it is possible to send guns to a dealer, then pick it up when you get to your destination. Do I need to ask an Irish gun dealer to import my gun?

If anyone has done this before any advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fiacha

i think this has been covered in a couple of threads. try a quick search.

oh, and welcome to the board :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

What you are talking about is a FFL to FFL transfer.
    For outside CONUS you need a FFL dealer who is State dept cleared to export outside CONUS.I think there is one in Penn state,but these guys are EXPENSIVE, somthing like $200 for paperwork processing,then $200 Top FedEX shipping rates.They WILL NOT export to a non dealer,private citizen.Worst of all most will not handle any quantity under 10 guns.This is just before you get to deal with the State Dept paperwork!!
    check out www.guns2you.com for more details.

smartest and easiest way is;months before you move back apply for your shotgun cert with your local Garda in the area you want to move to.Apply to DOJ for your import cert[you will need this as you are outside the EU].
    Pack up with certs and come home from the US[although on the gun front why you would want to is beyond me? :) ] Ring your airline and find out the requirements to bring the gun through the airport and onto the airline in CHECKED baggage!!![Post 9/11,maybe the security procedures have changed about bringing firearms onto airport property?Possibly ring the Port authorithy as well?] Fly home,show customs ,if they ask the revelant certs and state the fact that this is your used personal property,so you dont get screwed on import duty.Go home.

Failing that do the US departure procedure,arrive back,declare the guns to customs and ask them to impound and store it in the secure bonded warehouse area,until you do the correct paperwork.Bit more risky,if you end up with a gobdaw who doesnt know the rules and regulations.

Advertisement