Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 45 vs 30 - Worth the downgrade?

Options
  • 01-03-2005 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

Getting a bit tired of paying 160 phone bills each 2 month (90+40rental+21%vat).

I'm with Eircom 45 euro broadband - its good but expensive.

I'm not looking to do anything that will have me off-line for a month - so
    no switching to utv or whatever until theres a quick way of doing this.
    Smart telecom or Ripwave are not available in my part of Blanchardstown Dublin.

Does anyone have *first hand* experience of moving from 45 to 30 euro
    Eircom starter package. I know it involves changing the contension ratio-
    theoritically possibly reducing speed, and I can download less - but ...

**has anyone made this change and felt no worse difference in downloading speeds etc**

ta ozmo

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I really wouldn't use eircom at all, too expensive. Worth getting off them really.

I use utv and skype for making phone calls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i recommend eircom for the simple reason of competence.
    ive had bb woth eircom twice and have ha no fcuk-ups
    whereas numerous attempts to get alternative providers have left me offline for over 4 months.

if you feel you cna live on 4gigs down and 1 gig up, then by all means change, there will theortetically be no change as eircom have ehough bandwith to cover it.

as far as i know, caps will increase shortly and you may find yourself with more than enough bandwoth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

ozmo wrote:

**has anyone made this change and felt no worse difference in downloading speeds etc**

ta ozmo

I downgraded a while back...no change in ping/download speeds at all. Just have to be a little careful with the cap sometimes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I have recently ordered ntl and that takes two weeks, 1.5mb service.

I'm in Blanchardstown btw.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Chalk wrote:
    i recommend eircom for the simple reason of competence.
    ive had bb woth eircom twice and have ha no fcuk-ups
    whereas numerous attempts to get alternative providers have left me offline for over 4 months.

as far as i know, caps will increase shortly and you may find yourself with more than enough bandwoth

Im with you on this one.I have the starter package which I think is great except for the cap.In 12 months Ive never had one outage.My contract is up next week and Im going to stick with Eircom solely for the reason that the service is excellent.I have it from a good source that the caps are going up to compete with Smart:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I am MAN wrote:
    I have recently ordered ntl and that takes two weeks, 1.5mb service.

I'm in Blanchardstown btw.

so not even eircom employees have any goodwill with eircom...............
    eircom needs to 'remove caps' on their top flite product .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

lomb wrote:
    so not even eircom employees have any goodwill with eircom...............
    eircom needs to 'remove caps' on their top flite product .

Eircom broadband is the best broadband service available, the only downfall is the price and maybe the cap but the cap is not an issue with me. I want a 1.5mb connection which Eircom dont offer so I have ordered this product.

No need to preach to me anyway, I couldnt care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Terra wrote:
    I really wouldn't use eircom at all, too expensive. Worth getting off them really.

I use utv and skype for making phone calls

I've tried UTV, Netsource,EuropeOnLine and Eircom - and Eircom is by far the best - no way I'll be switching back to the others even if they are cheaper.
    Plus I'd be offline for months - as I was when moving between these.
    Smart I would have been tempted for the download speed, Ripwave so I can ditch the phone line altogether - but there are not available in my area.
    I didnt know NTL were in Blanch yet - I'll call them tomorrow.

Otherwise if you guys dont see any speed diference I think I'll go to the lower package and watch the caps.

thanks guys,
    ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

How are you paying 45? Is it not 55 for one package and 40 for the lower one?

Ivan E wrote:
    How are you paying 45? Is it not 55 for one package and 40 for the lower one?

yup - 45 per month ex vat. - Its how its written on the phone bill, so really 55.

Line Rental: 39.96
    Broadband HomePlus: 90
    Total Recurring Charges 129.96 ex vat.
    = 157.25 inc vat every two months (excluding calls).

Just seems so much a waste having the phone line since I use mobile phones mostly. Anyway - lets see what NTL have to offer.
    I'll miss my fixed ip though...

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

how did you get a fixed ip?

Chalk wrote:
    how did you get a fixed ip?
    50 + vat.
    once off charge. Just ask eircom.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

E50 + VAT for a fixed IP ? My god... that's robbery :S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

2mbit connection here...supplied by Eircom....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I've moved from Plus to Starter when it was introduced and I've had the same quality of service but with a cheaper price.

The download speeds are the same, pings are the same, so I've found absolutely nothing different with the contention ratio. The cap is only 4GB but it doesn't look like they're charging for it so who cares. :)

Aparently you can move from Plus to Starter for free for a limited time, after which they'll start charging. On eircom site they're still doing this for free, the link is hard to find but here's how you get to it:

1. www.eircom.ie
    2. Our products and services
    3. eircom broadband at home
    4. What option is right for you
    5. at the end of the page, click on "Migrate to eircom broadband home starter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

ozmo wrote:
    Line Rental: 39.96
    Broadband HomePlus: 90
    Total Recurring Charges 129.96 ex vat.
    = 157.25 inc vat every two months (excluding calls).

You can sign up to the eircom talktime as well. Line rental is only 28euro then, plus you get 200 minutes off off-peak calls for free!

byrnenj wrote:
    You can sign up to the eircom talktime as well. Line rental is only 28euro then, plus you get 200 minutes off off-peak calls for free!

Thats 27.99 Inc vat Per Month!!
    Thanks but thats going the wrong way - I hardly make any calls so wouldnt use the prepaid for minutes - everyone I call has mobile phone so normally use mobile phone myself for calls.

Line Rental: 55.98 (inc vat)
    Broadband HomePlus: 108.9 (inc vat)

Total Recurring Charges 164.88 inc vat every bill (two months).

Thats an awful lot for a 512K internet connection.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement