Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband offers with a wireless router?

Options
  • 28-02-2005 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm going to get broadband into the house soon (happily I live in an area that has no connection issues) so I'm just wondering if anyone could clarify a few points for me because I can't seem to find out much on the various websites.

The situation is that I've got two people with their own wifi-enabled laptops while I have my own old desktop without any means of wifi connection but which I'd be happy to connect up to the modem/router via Ethernet/USB.

Apologies in advance if these questions are FAQs!

1. Is Eircom the only service offering a free wireless router?

2. Does anyone know what flavour of wireless it is (I presume it's 802.11g)?

3. How much would a decent ADSL modem / 802.11g wireless router cost if I was to buy it separately (for example if I suscribed to a service that doesn't give out a free wireless router)?

4. Are Eircom's 4GB and Esat's 8GB download caps actually enforced?

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

First off, go for the Esat 3 month free trial. Eircom suck and it's only 2 months free. If you decide to stay with Esat, 4th month is free. Both companies customer service is non-existant. Buy your own wireless router. I've got a Linksys WRT54G. Costs about €75 on komplett.ie and is one of the most reliable, stable wireless routers out there. Just checked out eircom.ie and looks like wireless router offer is no more. Instead, they're offering a 2-port combi router instead. AFAIK, they don't enforce caps yet

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

I'd look into what suits you best. Your best option is to probably ring both. I got the eircom in last week with the wireless router. But as pointed out, that doesn't seem to be on offer anymore.

But read the fine print. Some of these offers may not suit you. I think Esat charge you an install charge of 90 euros if you don't combine your phone with them. So an extra 2 months is all fair and well but if you have to pay 90 euros then it might not work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Recently purchased 3Com OfficeConnect wireless 11g router from komplett.ie, running two desktops, a laptop and an xbox with no speed or connection issues. It's a four port router and comes with a usb wireless nic (handy when you do get your own laptop...!) and also I just noticed today, they have reduced the price to €88.

Using Esat, only managed to break my 16Gb cap once - no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

the eircom wireless thing is finished afaik.

Advertisement