Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlotte Church punchs Ex for revealing "sex secrets" What if a westlife lad did it?

Options
  • 28-02-2005 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭

Todays sun headline was about Charlotte Church punching her Ex in a resturaunt for revealing "sex secrets", I didnt get the paper but online it said he revealed they had sex in every room in the house. Now many may say "he deserved it" but hang on a minute, what if one of the westlife lads punched his ex-girlfriend in public for the same reason? They would be boycotted. I bet there won't be much backlash against her at all. Why do you always hear "men should not hit women", instead of people should not hit people no matter what sex they are. Of course violence against women is wrong but so is violence against men, and don't give me the line about "hes a big lad and can handle it", if thats the case is it ok for a weak man to hit a stronger woman if "she deserved it".
    I always think it strange the stereotype of men being fighting animals who cannot sit down and discuss things, in my life I have seen more men hit by women than men hit by men

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

rubadub wrote:
    Todays sun headline was about Charlotte Church punching her Ex in a resturaunt for revealing "sex secrets", I didnt get the paper but online it said he revealed they had sex in every room in the house. Now many may say "he deserved it" but hang on a minute, what if one of the westlife lads punched his ex-girlfriend in public for the same reason? They would be boycotted. I bet there won't be much backlash against her at all. Why do you always hear "men should not hit women", instead of people should not hit people no matter what sex they are. Of course violence against women is wrong but so is violence against men, and don't give me the line about "hes a big lad and can handle it", if thats the case is it ok for a weak man to hit a stronger woman if "she deserved it".
    I always think it strange the stereotype of men being fighting animals who cannot sit down and discuss things, in my life I have seen more men hit by women than men hit by men

Personally I don't agree that anyone should have the right to hit anyone unless it is in self defence, but the logic behind a woman hitting a man as "acceptable" (I am not quite sure how true that actually is anymore) is the, rather false, idea that a woman is not strong enough to do that much damage to a man while a man hitting a woman is strong enough to do proportionatly much more damage. This is of course not always true.

It is to do with degrees of strength, and the perception of damage, rather than the fact that she is a woman. It would not have been "acceptable" for her to bash her boyfriend's head with a metal bar, not that I feel it is particularly acceptable for her to hit her boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wonder if he'll press charges for assault? Could be well worth his while, wee Charlotte ain't short of a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sleepy wrote:
    Wonder if he'll press charges for assault? Could be well worth his while, wee Charlotte ain't short of a few quid.

He should have just slapped her back, taken her over his sholder and lead her upstairs for a good seeing too, Clint Eastwood style ... only way to deal with a mouthy woman is to stick something in her mouth

[that was a joke btw] ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

To be quite honest most young guys I know (18-25) have no problem hitting or hurting women.
    Example: I was having a play fight with my boyfriends friend, twas simple enough rules try and shove a damp face cloth down the other persons neck. It started after he whacked me in the face with it. As I approached him he caught my wrists and pinched quite hard while attempting to stamp on my feet. No one else saw anything wrong with that.
    Another instance a friend played a trick on me so I tried gettin him back by pretending I had something he's scared of behind my back. in order to see what I had he grabbed my arm and pulled it with force, when I showed him the bruise he had no remorse or anything and even our mutual friends thought I was over reacting and said it was my own fault for believing the trick in the first place. About three days later he asked me had he really hurt me and then said he was sorry as he not a violent person at all.

I've actually been the subject of quite a few knocks and rough-housing from boys I know, I think they see me as one of them or something and its all just a bit of fun to them but I seriously can't fight back and they don't understand.

So in conclusion if Charlotte Church's fella did punch her back most the people I know (male and female) would probably he say he was right to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    To be quite honest most young guys I know (18-25) have no problem hitting or hurting women.
    Example: I was having a play fight with my boyfriends friend, twas simple enough rules try and shove a damp face cloth down the other persons neck. It started after he whacked me in the face with it. As I approached him he caught my wrists and pinched quite hard while attempting to stamp on my feet. No one else saw anything wrong with that.
    Another instance a friend played a trick on me so I tried gettin him back by pretending I had something he's scared of behind my back. in order to see what I had he grabbed my arm and pulled it with force, when I showed him the bruise he had no remorse or anything and even our mutual friends thought I was over reacting and said it was my own fault for believing the trick in the first place. About three days later he asked me had he really hurt me and then said he was sorry as he not a violent person at all.

I've actually been the subject of quite a few knocks and rough-housing from boys I know, I think they see me as one of them or something and its all just a bit of fun to them but I seriously can't fight back and they don't understand.

So in conclusion if Charlotte Church's fella did punch her back most the people I know (male and female) would probably he say he was right to do it.

Um... you're all grown-ups now - maybe it's time to start acting like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

simu wrote:
    Um... you're all grown-ups now - maybe it's time to start acting like it.
    thats nice. we're college students. we're entitled to messing (even if it does get a wee bit out of hand sometimes). But my points still valid to this thread. Is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

People shouldn't hit other people. Most guys I know wouldn't hurt a woman, and if during the course of messing they did, they would apologise+back down.

Save a few,which I must say was strange to find out about, most guys I know would only ever use physical strength (not violence, self protection, such as holding someoneback)againnst women if it was neccessary, i.e. the woman is delibratley terrifying him(but get a guy to admit that!), or if the woman was using physical aggression againnst him (violence).

There are a few guys out there who are physicaly abusive, same as there are women. Its all wrong, but where does the line get drawn? Self defense is understandable, but shouldn't be needed. However, what if in the case of Charlotte he was abusive in other ways, and she snapped? Im not condoning it, but there could be a reason.

Because in general men are larger, its percieved as crueler to hit a woman, or a weaker man, cause of the strong physical advantage. thats true of any case. If the woman is larger its crueler to the person she hits too.

Its not right to use violence, (I mean what are we preying on eachother?), but it can be understood, as a last resort. We should be grown up enough to talk and stuff, and there are games (tickling, mock rows) but people should be careful.

As for a friend of your fella hurting you, if your fella didnt sort it, then he needs a long talking to. What if say one of your friends was abusing him? And the freind needs an even longer one. Keep away from physical games of any nature, as the boys your playing with are unaware of how it affects anyone and its potentially very dangerous. I also reckon that if needed you'd have a few freinds willing to help you there, but heck violence shouldnt be used againnst violence right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    2 wrongs don't make a right, but the initial wrong doing should never take place in the first place. The initial wrongdoing is the boyfriend's revelations, but the woman resorted to physical violence, I expect she would be horrified if one of her (strong) girlfriends was stuck by a (weaker) boyfriend.

What disturbs me is women hitting men "knowing" that they cannot hit back, but sometimes they do, twice as hard...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement