Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnish for floorboards

Options
  • 28-02-2005 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can get a clear varnish that doesn't make your boards look yellow?

I've had some old red deal floorboards sanded that are very pale in places but the polyurethane varnish I have makes them look very very yellow. I love the colour of the floor unvarnished but really dislike the yellow colour the varnish turns it.

Any idea if there's anything I could use that won't change the floor's colour too much? Also, does anyone know whether waxing would be more suitable?? The floors are in the bedrooms.

Thanks,

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

plumps wrote:
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you can get a clear varnish that doesn't make your boards look yellow?

I've had some old red deal floorboards sanded that are very pale in places but the polyurethane varnish I have makes them look very very yellow. I love the colour of the floor unvarnished but really dislike the yellow colour the varnish turns it.

Any idea if there's anything I could use that won't change the floor's colour too much? Also, does anyone know whether waxing would be more suitable?? The floors are in the bedrooms.

Thanks,

P
    AFAIK, Ronseal have a non-yellowing Clear Varnish. Not sure about the others.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think varnish would be a more durable finish than wax, would definitely be harder anyway, and easier to apply. Wax was always traditionally a softer finish, that would be more prone to giving a smeary appearence, and getting dirtier than a traditional floor. Apart from the ongoing maintainance of a wax floor.

I would go with Lex on this one. :)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Crystal Clear Varnish is your man,non yellowing and water based

Check here linky goto Our Brands,woodcare,interior

Advertisement