Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miller Ice?

Options
  • 28-02-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Ok, lots and lots of kudos to anyone who can recreate this and get it on video....

Was having (quite) a few drinks last night, and had bottles of miller in the freezer to chill properly. At one point I went in to get a few and opened the freezer to see five bottles, four of which had frozen and one which was still liquid.

Being the generous guy I am, i decided to keep the nice drinkable Miller for myself, and took it into the room and popped the lid. Now for the magic.

After about five seconds, I'm assuming because of the pressure drop, the miller turned to slushy/solid ice in front of our eyes in about ten seconds. Amazing to watch.

Just wondering the details of what it would take to recreate this somehow, trust me, its worth it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

My guess would be that that bottle had been shaken a bit before it was put in the freezer. Extra pressure in the bottle in the bottle would have changed the freezing point of the beer, so even though it was cooled below its normal freezing point it did not solidify. This is similar to the way ice skates melt the ice under them by increasing the pressure on it. When you opened the top, it was brought back to normal pressure, and so its freezing temperature rose very quickly. So to recreate it I'd get a few cans (I'd be worried that a bottle might explode), shake one vigorously, and put them in the freezer. Wait until the ones which were not shaken freeze, then wait some more, but not too long (you don't want it to be just at its freezing point, it needs to be a bit below it, since it'll warm when you take it out of the freezer). Then try opening it. The same thing _should_ happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lord Panic

Well all the bottles were taken out of the same crate and straight into the freezer, but everything else ya said made sense, so maybe that one bottle had a more secure lid, and the others, having leaked just a little bit, were under lower pressure!

The only problem with using cans is not being able to see the contents, pretty hard to tell what its like on the inside!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it was probably supercooled so it was below its freezing point but waiting for a nucleation site to start the conversion from solid to liquid.

http://www.twd.net/ird/forecast/1955hurricane.html
    If a large lake on a windless day becomes supercooled, i.e., a number of degrees below the freezing point, it often does not freeze. If then we throw a single stone into the supercooled water, the entire lake will freeze over solid in a few seconds, often to an appreciable depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

it was probably supercooled so it was below its freezing point but waiting for a nucleation site to start the conversion from solid to liquid.

http://www.twd.net/ird/forecast/1955hurricane.html

Opening the lid wouldn't create a nucleation site. For that something has to alter the distribution of the fluid, reducing the symmetry. Shaking it could cause this. The only thing opening the lid affects is the pressure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Opening the lid wouldn't create a nucleation site.
    If ya want to be pedantic :rolleyes:
    then I'll throw in a dust particle or maybe a defect on the inside of the bottle just above the previous liquid lever - or a distrurbance as you say would do it too.

The thought of taking a swig of Miller and having it freeze solid in your mouth <cringe> but maybe you could sue them for a couple of million on the basis that it doesn't say not to do it on the bottle, or maybe your surviving elatives could sue them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If ya want to be pedantic :rolleyes:
    then I'll throw in a dust particle or maybe a defect on the inside of the bottle just above the previous liquid lever - or a distrurbance as you say would do it too.

The thought of taking a swig of Miller and having it freeze solid in your mouth <cringe> but maybe you could sue them for a couple of million on the basis that it doesn't say not to do it on the bottle, or maybe your surviving elatives could sue them...

So you reguard using facts and knowledge as being pedantic?

Is that why most of your posts are just googled re-hashes that you don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

meow! :D

Don't worry after another coupla thousand posts he'll realise the tongue in cheek nature of a lot of them. :D

Advertisement