Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web server on Eircom BB

Options
  • 27-02-2005 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I want to setup a webserver on my BB connection.

What I have:
    • I have an Eircom BB connection with a Netopia Cayman 3300.
    • I have a linux box running apache.
    • I can view webpages on it from my desktop machine across my LAN.
    • I know my public IP address.
    • I have the Netopia set like so: Configure>Advanced>Software Hosting> webserver IP - host http service

So with the webserver working across my LAN I presumed it would be a simple task to connect to it from the web.

But when I type in my public ip it says connection refused.

I don't know what is refusing the connection. The Netopia doesn't have a firewall. Does Eircom block certain things to prevent this sort of thing?

I'm lost, any help would be great!

Thanks.

AD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

This has to do with NAT. The machine on your LAN has an ip address of 192.168.1.x which no-one in the outside world can see. You'll need to set up port forwarding of some sort. Not sure if the netopia can do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

penexpers wrote:
    This has to do with NAT. The machine on your LAN has an ip address of 192.168.1.x which no-one in the outside world can see. You'll need to set up port forwarding of some sort. Not sure if the netopia can do this.

Thanks for the reply. It was NAT, I needed to setup port forwarding for port 80. Totally slipped my mind. Doh!

Thanks ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Just in case you didn't know, your public IP address will change every few days so instead of having to check what your IP address is all the time, you can try using the free Dynamic DNS service...

http://www.dyndns.org/

It will allow you to setup a nice URL such as mysite.dyndns.org. Your modem should have built-in support for this service.

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

i think most ISPS have a line in the fine print about running these servers. not sure about eircom, but my cable company (cox)gave me hell for running a simple mail server (10 messages per day tops). Re read your contract just to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

Thanks Neil & FuzzyLogic.

I'm on the Eircom free trial, so I have no contract as such just yet...

I've setup the dynamic dns thingy, works a treat, thanks lads! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement