Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver: Had to enable proxy a few days ago?

Options
  • 27-02-2005 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Since early last week, I had been having very bad problems with Clicksilver. The router was connected with no problems, but about 50% of the time I tried to open a website, Firefox couldn't get past the "Looking up www.google.com..." stage. Once it got past this, the page opened grand, and download speeds are always perfect once it gets past that "looking up" stage. (It's called something else in IE I think). I often had to click on links about 10 times before I got the page to load.

Anyway this problem was frustrating me, as nobody else here seemed to be reporting it. I solved the problem yesterday by enabling the proxy settings in Firefox. The proxy I'm using now is 194.46.8.9:8080.

Was anybody else having the same problem with Clicksilver last week? If so, might this be something to do with a possible upgrade to 1MBit?

Also, what exactly is the "Looking up www.google.com..." stage in Firefox? Is it when it's looking up the IP address to connect to from the DNS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I've being having does kinda problems for days as well, but I though there was something wrong with my machine.

Is it happening with more programs other then firefox ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

It was happening with Internet Explorer too. Seems to be only web based traffic. No problems with eMule or MSN Messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The problem seems to be with the DNS servers, when the problem happens I can access stuff fine using IP addresses. The reason the proxy is working for you is probably because the browser has taken to resolving hostnames through the proxy server (which you've specified using an IP address).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

plazzTT wrote:

Was anybody else having the same problem with Clicksilver last week?

Had this trouble all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

try some other dns servers, most ones on the web are publically accessable....

• Advertisement
Advertisement