Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irishbroadband pings etc

Options
  • 27-02-2005 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Was playing quake off a friends connection yesterday, the ibb 1meg/1meg 8:1 line (business line), and my god the ping was vicious.

It was a nice steady 25 to jolt and felt perfectly smooth, (also while i was playing with this 25 ping, the 2 other lads were playing fps's aswell with not even the slightest glitch to the ping :) ) .

Then on games5 it was 8-9dos ping and in game was about 11-14, which i thought felt like lan, and as such we didnt bother host a lan server, and just used games5.

anyone else got the same conn and know of any problems? otherwise i might considering switching for it :>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Was playing quake off a friends connection yesterday, the ibb 1meg/1meg 8:1 line (business line), and my god the ping was vicious.

It was a nice steady 25 to jolt and felt perfectly smooth, (also while i was playing with this 25 ping, the 2 other lads were playing fps's aswell with not even the slightest glitch to the ping :) ) .

Then on games5 it was 8-9dos ping and in game was about 11-14, which i thought felt like lan, and as such we didnt bother host a lan server, and just used games5.

anyone else got the same conn and know of any problems? otherwise i might considering switching for it :>

Yes its stable, but the reason is the bandwidht is share with resi and commercial so over the weekend the pings are excellent !

Pings are crap at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Pings are crap at the moment.

where are are u ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Coming from the tallaght tower on the 1meg/1meg package:

Ping statistics for 82.195.144.58:
    Packets: Sent = 25, Received = 25, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 7ms
    Control-Break

Its fairly good at the moment anyway. I havn't had any problems recently except for when tiscali went tits up about 2 months ago (i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Dunno if you remember when Pyro got IBB installed Benji but he had vicious pings as well but whenever he went to play a league match it may well have been on 56k..pings where great when it didn't matter and sh1te when it did... if I where you I would wait to see what IOL/Eircon/Smart etc have to offer in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Obviously Mutant_Fruit wasn't online about an hour ago when the connection to [most of the] outside world went tits up for about 30 minutes. In the last week I've had at least five outages somewhere in the backbone, most lasting between 30 minutes and an hour. That in conjunction with a service that may be good but when it's bad it seemingly takes IBB weeks and constant pestering to an indifferent/clueless support department to get it fixed. I can possibly accept that things go wrong on occasion, but I don't understand why (a) they don't monitor usage and get it sorted before it gets out of hand and (b) communicate with their support staff so they actually know there is a problem and know when it's going to be fixed instead of wasting my and their time with idiotic radio resets that will do exactly nothing to fix the problem.

Drapper wrote:
    where are are u ?

3 rock. On a side note, it seems to be consistently sending and receiving pakets. I wonder if I got hacked. All my spyware and anti-virus malarky is up to date. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

A while after i posted that, the entire web did go down for me, for about 10 mins. Not sure what caused it. It could have been those damnable DNS servers fecking up again. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mine went down for about 10min last night to. I'm on the Lucan mast.

Pings to boards.ie are consistently lower than 10ms.

Ping statistics for 82.195.144.58:
    Packets: Sent = 33, Received = 33, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 7ms

Jolt.co.uk:
    Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 18ms

Advertisement