Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utvsclicksilver disconnect on exceeding cap

Options
  • 27-02-2005 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Did it ever happen to anyone here? I've gone beyond 16G (16003 MBytes)
    but I can still surf. What's the deal? The customer service page has been down
    for ages so I havd no way of checking whether I made a mistake or not...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fow99 wrote:
    Did it ever happen to anyone here? I've gone beyond 16G (16003 MBytes)
    but I can still surf. What's the deal? The customer service page has been down
    for ages so I havd no way of checking whether I made a mistake or not...

UTV - What a ****ty ISP. So many faults they have these days. I aint been d/c - just warned!

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

16gb = 16384mb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

They charge you for the extra amount you use

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

You can set your options for your account. You can set it to either disconnect or charge you for every meg over the cap. It seems that UTV are the only ones who actually enforce the cap. :mad: I was 1GB over the cap last month and it cost me over €15 extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

NotMe wrote:
    You can set your options for your account. You can set it to either disconnect or charge you for every meg over the cap. It seems that UTV are the only ones who actually enforce the cap. :mad: I was 1GB over the cap last month and it cost me over €15 extra.

I'm over it now, ****, they hardly expect me to sign up for a year now do they.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Limey wrote:

they arent building any goodwill for sure. even if only one in 5 exceeds the cap, then that one person will bad mouth them........

also there must be a law against 30000% profit margins. for example they charge 15 euro per gig over the cap. but it only costs them 5 cent approx............

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stephenjudge

Hey,

We realised something on our account. We run a home server with 5 PC's connected. As long as you keep the PC on that is connected to your broadband and never log off, you won't get charged for going over the cap.

Set you cap choice to be disconnected if you go over. That way if they cop on that you went over, which they won't you just act dumb and argue you set your cap choice to be disconnected and its UTV's fault for not going over.

Basically they calculate you BB usage at the end of ever day and after every disconnection. When you reach your cap just make sure you stay connected and you'll never be charged.

We've been doing it for ages now and never got charged. And UTV tech support (when you can get talking to them) practicaly admited they don't care if you go over.

Try it, it works.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

They have an automatic disconnect after 48hrs. This is so they can get a read from you. Don't know if it works.

I hit my cap 4 days ago so today i can connect again. woohoo. If you choose to disconnect when you reach your cap and you go over the cap they don't seem to charge you for the extra. (well not yet!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

macronot wrote:
    They have an automatic disconnect after 48hrs. This is so they can get a read from you. Don't know if it works.

Yes, but those 48hrs are glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

macronot wrote:

I hit my cap 4 days ago so today i can connect again. woohoo. If you choose to disconnect when you reach your cap and you go over the cap they don't seem to charge you for the extra. (well not yet!).
    I don't think they legally could because you make a legal choice to have the account suspended - by doing that they are entering into a contract to disconnect you and not charge you, should you go over the cap...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Limey wrote:
    Yeah, how dare they impose any restrictions on the cheapest DSL product in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's such a thing as goodwill oscarbravo. For a number of reasons, including strict enforcement of the cap, that goodwill is going down the drain.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

*shrug* whatever. Frankly, I'm surprised at the vitriol being poured on a company by its customers for acting in accordance with the T&Cs they signed up to.

Cynically, I see this as a symptom of yet another Eircom ploy. As the company with the lowest costs in the DSL market, it's no real skin off their nose if customers exceed caps. This creates a situation where the market expects every other provider to tacitly waive their T&Cs or face being called ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's not just the cap - their strict enforcement of it is just a symptom of a larger problem at utv. Their mail servers have been up and down continuously for more than a month. They suffer dns outages almost daily at the moment. There's random times once every week or two where all traffic to the net dies for hours at a time because of their crap upstream provider. Their phone/email support is vastly understaffed to the point of making them useless. That's just the critical stuff aswell, there's a large array of niggles that are a pain in the arse but not in and of themselves show stoppers.

They're all symptoms of a service that's being run on an unsustainably low margin. There's no point being the cheapest provider, if you can't provide.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moriarty wrote:
    It's not just the cap - their strict enforcement of it is just a symptom of a larger problem at utv. Their mail servers have been up and down continuously for more than a month. They suffer dns outages almost daily at the moment. There's random times once every week or two where all traffic to the net dies for hours at a time because of their crap upstream provider. Their phone/email support is vastly understaffed to the point of making them useless. That's just the critical stuff aswell, there's a large array of niggles that are a pain in the arse but not in and of themselves show stoppers.

They're all symptoms of a service that's being run on an unsustainably low margin. There's no point being the cheapest provider, if you can't provide.

Here here!

- Sully

Advertisement