Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my IOLBB prestige 600 modem strangling my bandwidth

Options
  • 27-02-2005 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi Im sort of new to this game so be gentle....

When I use Torrent sharing software like bittorrent and bitcomet my download speeds seem to be hanging at 2-10kbps.....Talking to other people they are regularly getting speeds in excess of 100kbps for well seeded stuff.....Anything I successfully DL i seed so its not a leeching problem.

Also when downloading other stuff the max speed I can get is 52kbps..

Is anyone else having this problem?

What type of speeds should I be experiencing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You need to open the ports for Bittorent. Its been a while since I've done it on that modem so this may not be 100% correct.

Go into your modem settings, into NAT, then "SUA only" and click edit. Then you will be presented with a screen with 3 boxes. Enter 6881 in the first 6999 in the second and 192.168.1.33 in the third. Then apply. You should be able to max out your connection with torrents now.

Or use a bittorent client that supports UPNP (like azerus) and enable UPNP on the modem and in the client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

54 down 16 up is 512mb.

You may have not configured your torrent program correctly , ensure certain ports are open and in the program make sure you have not set a upload limit as it effects your download limit too.

Set both to 0 and download overnight is the best way to use them.

kdjac

The max speed down is 54kB/s or about 450kb/s.

What speeds are you getting turbit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 turbit

Thanks guys thats great...just one thing Ciaran (im gonna sound daft now) how do I get to my modem settings, NAT.....The only modem I can access through control panel is the internal one used for dial up

Cheers

Speeds at the mo are 5 down 2 up....

Open internet explorer and type your modem address. Normally it is: "192.168.1.1"

Username: admin" Password: "admin" or "1234"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Go to 192.168.1.1 In your browswer. Username is admin. Password is 1234 or 12345. Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 turbit

Thanks Guys...will try that later, but its time to go kick a footy now. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Could just be a slow torrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

You should really change the password on your broadband modem though.
    Anyone with your IP address can type it into their web browser, use the admin:1234 username:passowrd combination (which is the default) and potentially muck around from your hardware. To see go to http://www.whatsmyip.org and type that IP into your address bar. You can now log into your modem from the internet. Which means anyon can do it. You should change the default password. (Never ever use the default password for anything). You can also configure the modem so one can't log in from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Syth - Actually that's not correct. DSL modems and routers can only be configured from your home PC or network unless "Remote Administration" is turned on.

- Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Syth is right i had problems some time ago and had a friend login to the router to sort it out for me.
    There prob is an option alright to not allow it.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

jozi - I should have added, I don't know of any routers or modems that are *by default* open to the internet.

Look at it this way - If you received a new DSL modem from Eircom or IOL and it was open to the internet *and* the default username and password were still set (these defaults are well known, btw) - then most Irish DSL users would have their connections hijacked all the time ;)

- Neil

Advertisement