Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom best ISP?

Options
  • 26-02-2005 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Does anyone know any other ISP besides Eircom, prefarably one that offers a connection greater than 1mb, but if it's 512k so be it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I know what you mean, I was playing DOAU online in a friends gaff a few days ago, and ppl were getting pissed off at the jerkiness when we were fighting them, it didn't always happen, but its a serious pain in the B0LL0X!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What you all dont realise is that eircom as the ONLY supplier of briadband in ireland. LOL you might say. As far as I know every single broadband line in the ground is owned by eircom. It is a pure monopoly. All companies like BT, irish broadband or who ever all rent their lines of eircom. It is a monopoloy. eircom wont lower prices or give better service, because even tho you might think you getting a better deal, your still paying eircom.

Ireland is rated in the top 3 first wolrd countries worst internet service. The avergae connection for europe is 5 mb or something, ireland the maximum you can get at affordable prices is 512k. I had a mate that used to pay 200 a month for a 512k line. To get anyhting faster then 2mb ehre costs over 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

smart telecom have just offered 2 mb broadband for 35 yo's a month..4 times faster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

What you all dont realise is that eircom as the ONLY supplier of briadband in ireland. LOL you might say. As far as I know every single broadband line in the ground is owned by eircom. It is a pure monopoly. All companies like BT, irish broadband or who ever all rent their lines of eircom. It is a monopoloy. eircom wont lower prices or give better service, because even tho you might think you getting a better deal, your still paying eircom.

Ireland is rated in the top 3 first wolrd countries worst internet service. The avergae connection for europe is 5 mb or something, ireland the maximum you can get at affordable prices is 512k. I had a mate that used to pay 200 a month for a 512k line. To get anyhting faster then 2mb ehre costs over 250 euro.

Heh...Eircom own the Irish Broadband wireless antennas, do they? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Atlas_IRL wrote:
    smart telecom have just offered 2 mb broadband for 35 yo's a month..4 times faster

That cant be right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Smart telecom will own their own lines when they go live.
    Esat will......... someday, if they ever bother with LLU.
    Irish Broadband is what youre looking for here mate, 1024/1024 for 48 euro. You could have about 8 people playing online on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

eircom own all lines in the ground....FACT. TBH i get my internet for free so im not complaining, but id like eircom to provide a free upgrade, like every other country in the world. Bertie wants everyone online, but with **** quality.

eircom own all lines in the ground....FACT. TBH i get my internet for free so im not complaining, but id like eircom to provide a free upgrade, like every other country in the world. Bertie wants everyone online, but with **** quality.

You obviously failed to notice the word 'wireless' in my post... :rolleyes:

Irish Broadband is wireless. Nothing to do with Eircom.

But anyway, Irish Broadband gives my friend better pings in cs source than I get with my Eircom adsl, so consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Anyone got this - http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

I am tres interested in this if its stable and reliable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

moved to broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

eircom own all lines in the ground....FACT.

NTL have lines in the ground that supply broadband and aren't owned by Eircom. So do a number of other small cable companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

yeah, and what about UTV, I'd seriously doubt they are pwn3d by Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tusky wrote:
    That cant be right...
    Atlas_IRL is right, Tusky!

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/broadband/index.htm

Damn this frigging Eircom contract of mine!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I was gonna comment on a few points in here but I think it's easier to direct ye to the forum ye are now on. The broadband forum. There's a list of alternate suppliers and there's a lovely search function on the boards in general to find other relevant data. :)

You might be interested in the "upgrade" news that's floating about the forum (512/128/4GB -> 1024/256/20GB (cap seems to vary - 16GB to 32GB etc)).

Advertisement