Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless help

Options
  • 26-02-2005 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

hi i have iol bb and my pc is upsatirs and my phone socket downstairs. i have long cable that connects me to internet. i want to remove that cable and become wireless.

i have bought a linksys bb router (model wrt54gs) and a linksys wireless adapter. i have installed the adapter.

however here is my problem i connect the iol modem to the link router using the eternet cable provided (blue) from eternet port on back of iol modem to internet port on kink. and phonline goes from back of iol modem to socket. these are both downstairs and computer is upstairs. the wireless network says it is connected but i cannot go online. the dsl light is on on my modem.

what am i doing wrong?? have i got the right equipment?? it says that link shud be connected to pc but then i wud have to run another cable upsatirs to pc - not very wireless??? plus i dont have eternet card on pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You probably just have to run a connection wizard on your wireless router so it will pick up the settings from your broadband modem.
    If you check your manual there should be an IP address.
    Something like 192.168.x.x.
    Enter that in the address bar of your web browser and run the wizard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

You need to plug the IOL modem to one of the 4 separate LAN ports on the Linksys, NOT the internet port. (IOL modem is also a router)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need to plug the IOL modem to one of the 4 separate LAN ports on the Linksys, NOT the internet port. (IOL modem is also a router)

If the IOL modem is also a router will that not cause problems with two routers being in conflict?

Also wont the linksys router have to be connected to the pc by ethernet cable for the initial set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

dont know how i did it but i online using wireless now. i can browse any webpage ... but i cant play games online or use team speak??

any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

This is what I did and it worked:

Phoneline to ZyXEL
    ZyXel ethernet out to one of 4 LAN ports on linksys
    Ethernet cable from one of 4 LAN ports to ethernet on PC
    Go to 192.168.1.1 on PC and set LAN address to 192.168.1.2 so you can see both ZyXEL and Linksys
    Turn off DHCP on linksys (The ZyXEL does this)
    Restart PC

Edit:For TS etc, try going to Linksys and going to advanced, then DMZ Host, and enter your PC's IP. Or else set up port forwarding or port triggering. www.portforward.com for info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

DMZ is the spawn of satan. It should only be used in extreme circumstances. Its basically like hooking your computer directly to the internet using no firewall. A definate no-no.

If the IOL modem is also a router, you could connect it to the WAN(internet) port of your wireless router and then just set a DMZ from the IOL modem pointing towards your wireless router. That should make all connections pass straight through to the wireless router, where they'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

I posted this a while back...
    When you log into the modem, select the "Wizard Setup" option as this will turn and and off what's necassary. I selected...

Mode: Bridge
    Encapsulation: RFC 1483
    Mutilplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Your Linksys wireless router should be set to use PPoE on your WAN port. You'll need to enter your IOL BB username and password there too, and everything should work okay.

- Neil

Advertisement