Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats it like to work at intel leixlip??

Options
  • 26-02-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hey ive got an interview with intel on wednesday and was just wondering whats it like to work there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Pretty good, is the job with Intel directly or with a contracting company??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

timmyjimmy wrote:
    Hey ive got an interview with intel on wednesday and was just wondering whats it like to work there?

dunno, being a janitor i imagine isnt the most fun job in the world.
    but then again, being the managing director, probably has some perks.

what job are you going for. it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

The job definately makes a difference. Theres a lot of boring jobs out there. The facilities and bonuses are good though and they are a good company to work for ie. they treat you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

its a job as a mechanical technician. it sounds pretty good there.

its full time with intel too

• Advertisement

Mechanical technician? Is it shift work? You'll probably be on boards.ie a lot. As far as i know the work is set for the shift and when finished you're left to your own devices, but still in work. Can be long days (and nights) and can be repetitive. But all in all not to bad i hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

7am -7pm... 4days on/3days off, 3days on/4days off... month of days/month of nights... thats the shift.
    the days/nights turnover is really tough on the mind... other than that intel are good to work for, great facilities as mentioned before, pretty flexible management, but unfortunately they brainwash you into "their" way of doing things... i.e walk on the right, hold onto the rail with one hand, not allowed to have boiling water in yer coffee etc ...safety obsessed...

Yeah a lot like that. Even on the crapper there telling you all about whats going on and what to do (on the back of the cubical door). I think the funniest thing was safety at concerts, and how to cut your grass!!!
    Safety aside there is a lot to take in and working directly for intel you have to listen. Have worked there myself but as a contractor so none of it meant a thing to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Albot

7am -7pm... 4days on/3days off, 3days on/4days off... month of days/month of nights... thats the shift.
    the days/nights turnover is really tough on the mind... other than that intel are good to work for, great facilities as mentioned before, pretty flexible management , but unfortunately they brainwash you into "their" way of doing things... i.e walk on the right, hold onto the rail with one hand, not allowed to have boiling water in yer coffee etc ...safety obsessed...

Depends who your direct manager is obviously :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tramintino

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 seveer

you will be required to check your mind and soul in at security other than that its :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tramintino

:( If you want a stimulating job for longer than 6 months- forget it. Wiping down machines is going to be your main task. :confused: Some people like coming to work to do the same thing every day. Don't expect too much. For me its been a negetive experience in most ways. But hey - there are people who like the place :confused: Go figure???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seveer

*looks at his number of posts* 3 in 2 years . I talk too much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

How did the interview go?

I worked (directly) for Intel in Lexilip previously. As a workplace I found it pretty good. It can be a bit strage with all the safety consciousness and 'Intel culture' but you get used to it fairly quickly. The majority of people on site are helpful and friendly. My own job was fairly boring/depressing and sometimes the sheer scale of the place can introduce annyoing delays in getting things done, but other than that I found it fine.

The CWW7 shifts can be heavy going but your pay packet will be up around 50% due to shift allowance and the overtime payed due to an average working week of 43 hours before overtime. The breaks are good too and generally run longer than those described in the contract without any problems.

One thing that will definitely hit you if you end up working there is the sheer size of the place. You can walk close to mile in a straight line along the front of the main buildings without going outside. I already knew a few people who were working there while I was there and a rarely even bumped into them.

well im after doing the interview, an hour n a half long! it seemed alright ill know in 2 weeks if i got the job-hopefully.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Anyone know what an automation systems engineer does? Because that's the title of the job I've just been offered with Intel and I know squat about what I'll be doing :p

you from an IT background or a facilities background?

I take it that you're a Computer Science student, so you'll be working in the automation department, They look after all the factory automation systems, Main teams in that group would be the infrastructure group (Windows/Unix and VMS) the DBA's, the DSS group (Decision Support/Reports group), and the factory systems group....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anyone know what an automation systems engineer does? Because that's the title of the job I've just been offered with Intel and I know squat about what I'll be doing :p

It's a broad, catch-all description for all of the jobs in the Automation group as hefty_langer says. You will probably be told the day you start what specific group you will be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

How did the interview go?

I worked (directly) for Intel in Lexilip previously. As a workplace I found it pretty good. It can be a bit strage with all the safety consciousness and 'Intel culture' but you get used to it fairly quickly. The majority of people on site are helpful and friendly. My own job was fairly boring/depressing and sometimes the sheer scale of the place can introduce annyoing delays in getting things done, but other than that I found it fine.

The CWW7 shifts can be heavy going but your pay packet will be up around 50% due to shift allowance and the overtime payed due to an average working week of 43 hours before overtime. The breaks are good too and generally run longer than those described in the contract without any problems.

One thing that will definitely hit you if you end up working there is the sheer size of the place. You can walk close to mile in a straight line along the front of the main buildings without going outside. I already knew a few people who were working there while I was there and a rarely even bumped into them.

What kind of salary is on offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi, please don't bump really old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement