Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who remembers Beyond 2000 on tv

Options
  • 25-02-2005 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I do. And it was the best thing on tv when I was a nipper. Used to watch it every Saturday evening. I wonder how many of the things covered on the programme are actually in full swing today. I cant remember many of the things they were on about. Maglev trains was one, and the Japs are getting taht upp and running as far as I know.

Also, there was something else about mobile phones. Cant remember exactly - could have been WAP or MMS even?

So what can ye remember from the show?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I remember it, I thought it was boring & hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Loved it, great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I never liked it.

Tommorrows World was much more interesting.

Didn't it feature a robot pushing a kid on a swing in the introduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Ah I loved Beyond 2000, can't remember much from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yeah remenber it do but dont remenber any of the inventions they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

beyond2000.jpg

i remember this it used to be on sky TV I wonder did that mountbatton braille machine ever go into mas production.

Tomorrows world was better imo as most of the stuff featured managed to make it into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I remember the (Aussie-made) Beyond 2000 !!

It was a great show and I looked forward to it on RTE each Saturday !
    Actually, I think RTE showed repeats in the last year or so ?!

One thing I remember them showing years ago was a card you could use in shops to pay for goods and services, the money coming direct from your bank account - i.e. what we now know as a Laser Card !! :D

I think one of the male presenters in now a newsreader on CNN ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I remember it! Vaguely..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

I remember it well :) It had some great stuff - some utterly boring stuff too like sewage treatment equipment, but there were some gems there!

It ran on Network 2 not so long ago as someone mentioned.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Id love to see a few episodes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

the thing i remember most was the start! i used to love that song. i cant really remember it but i remember gettin it confused wit the riff from "Layla". hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

some of the stuff was mad out of it but alot was just boring.
    tommorrows world was better alright, things they showed seeemed alot more real

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well i think tomorrows world used to deal wit not so distant advances in technology (ie tomorrows technology) where as beyond 2000 used to deal wit stuff that was mostly just theoretical ideas (ie beyond tomorrows technology).

plus it was done by australians, u know wat they're like! ;)

The_B_Man wrote:
    well i think tomorrows world used to deal wit not so distant advances in technology (ie tomorrows technology) where as beyond 2000 used to deal wit stuff that was mostly just theoretical ideas (ie beyond tomorrows technology).

plus it was done by australians, u know wat they're like! ;)

ha australians!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Ya it used to be on rte1 or 2 at about 4 or 5 on a saturday evening. Great show, the presenter (aussie) was cool. I remember they had this one invention, which was for a mobile phone to limit the radiation it emitted, it was like a big foam think around the aerial of the phone, personally I wouldn't say thats too far off IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I remember it, it was crap. Like RTE's sports-stadium it was the alarm bell that told you your cartoon viewing had wrapped up for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I remember seeing the one where they explained the interweb and cybercafés. Unfortunately, RTÉ was so slow showing the programmes that I'd already seen the web in real-life by then. D'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah i used love watching that show when i was small!!! i cant remember many of the inventions though, but the theme song is just after popping into my head :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Loobz wrote:
    So what can ye remember from the show?

I remember when they showed how to avoid your half made cup of tea going cold if the phone rings just after you poured it out!

The theory is this - the tea will stay nearer the correct temperature if you put your milk in before answering the phone because of the increased volume of the liquid.

They reckoned it was better to do it that way than to put your milk in afterwards because if you poured in your usual amount of milk after leaving the tea sitting for five mins or so then your tea would be too cold.

I would have thought that just putting less milk in would be a good solution but then again I'm no scientist.

Pigman II wrote:
    I remember it, it was crap. Like RTE's sports-stadium it was the alarm bell that told you your cartoon viewing had wrapped up for another day.

you better not be dissing "trans-world sports"! what a brilliant shows! every sport in an hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I remember seeing that when the internet was going to revolutionise the world and allow you to do all your shoping from home. They also had SETI on it when wit was just starting up.

Recently I've seen a clip of it where they were showing mp3 players. They were about the size of a video cassette with 4-8mb storage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

http://www.beyond.com.au/television/catalogue/science_n_technology/1.html#beyond_000

They are a big media company in Australia now. There is a list of the stories in pdf from 1999 on that page, some are pretty daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

i remember wowing at a machine you plug into your tv, that takes a screen capture, and prints it out

now its just a load of crap

and a signature recognition lock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I remember the first MP3 players from around 98/99. They werent that big, Unless you're talking about earlier ones than that.

Advertisement