Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is SKANGER an offensive term?

Options
  • 25-02-2005 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

And if so, what's a nice way to describe them?

Was just thinking about this, sometimes people refer to me as a "a bit of a rocker" I wear baggy jeans, music tshirts, lip pierced and I do listen to rock music so i don't have a problem with this.

My brother hangs around with a few skangers and I asked him do they mind being called skangers. He just got pissed off so I left it.

So if you were describing someone you know and said "ah ya know him, red hair, he's a bit of a skanger", would that be ok?

Basically I'm sure there are some track-suit cladded types who don't lie, steal and pillage, how can we label them? ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

skanger lookalikes

I know a few people who when I met them, I thought "skanger, skanger skanger".. but I'd consider that my failing before I'd consider it theirs. They've all turned out to be pretty nice people, even if one of them is in jail atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think they're called "dub's".

/me runs away before anyone can hit me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

/hits the_syco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

There no nice way of offending someone

how about they look a bit Chav as in http://www.chavworld.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Was just thinking about this, sometimes people refer to me as a "a bit of a rocker" I wear baggy jeans, music tshirts, lip pierced and I do listen to rock music so i don't have a problem with this.
    Do you like being called smelly?
    When I see rockers, hanging their heads, wearing all black, I think: spotty, smelly, and greasy. Does that bother you?

That being said, if I see a knacker, I think: knacker.
    My brother hangs around with a few skangers and I asked him do they mind being called skangers. He just got pissed off so I left it.
    :rolleyes:
    What reaction did you expect from your brother? You just slagged his mates.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote:
    What reaction did you expect from your brother? You just slagged his mates.

No I didn't, I asked him do they find the term offensive, I can't see how that's slagging them? They're nice kids they just dress like skangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

tracker knackers (wannabe skangers) or holla hollas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

And if so, what's a nice way to describe them?

Er, no

Skanger is a term I would use to describe scumbags, not necessarily working class kids. I know a lot of nice friendly working class kids from north dublin. It is the ones that are drunk and pissing down the back of the 45 bus that I call skangers

Maybe I have been using the term wrong, but just like scumbag, I don't think there is a nice way to call someone a skanger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

why do you need a group name for "these type of people"?

no need as such, just for descriptive purposes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

street-knackers, chavs, skangers(cant believe ppl say that)

"bit of a rocker", could be a rocker, could be just normal (i mean it is pretty fricking popular at the moment)

then you have metal-heads (some nice, generally arrogant a-holes, personnal experience there!)

Skaters(those little kids on boards, u know who they are, but aside from some dodgy music they r lovely- personal experience)

knackers-knackers

geeks, don't get me started.

players- sad sad sad. u can't get everyone+ur not all that

ah society is so tiered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement