Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

line-in MP3 player

Options
  • 25-02-2005 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm looking for an MP3 player with line-in direct MP3 encoding so I can record my vinyl onto it.

I was looking at a Philips HDD120, but judging by the number of bad reviews they're not a good choice.

Anyone recommend a good one?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I think the IRiver units have a linbe in. As do some creative ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Any idea which creative ones? I've had a shifty at their website and it's not too clear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Not sure about the touch but the newer Muvo's do as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

The Creative Zen Micro might suit your purpose.

Looking at the help files, you hook up your record player to the line-in socket of your computer's sound card. The Creative Media Source software converts the vinyl to MP3 and you then transfer the resulting MP3 file to the Micro.

Have not tried it but if you need further clarification you could always email Creative support or post a question on the very active MP3 player message board.

Micro is 5gb so I don't know if this is large enough for your needs but its a smashing player.

you hook up your record player to the line-in socket of your computer's sound card

No good to me. I could do that anyway if I could be arsed hefting around pcs and/or decks.

I need one with line-in and direct, built in mp3 encoding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

IRiver H120 can do it i expect more IRiver models can do it as well but i haven't checked

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Am in same situation at mo.
    Have done a bit of homework on this.
    If you're looking at a flash memory-based player then Creative Micro N200 or Rhomba NX both have line-in feature. Thinking of purchasing the N200 myself but have held off awaiting firmware fix which was released yesterday to solve some problems with this unit - loads on the Creative discussion boards.
    Specifically in relation to line-in have a look at this.
    iRivers 7XX and 8xx models all have line-in feature, generally 20-30€ further up the price chain.
    Komplett.ie seem cheapest irish-based source for both.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Yep most of the iRivers do it, the newer colour screen ones especially.
    It can be done on an iPod aswell, I do anyway, with a thing called iPodlinux.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I use the MPIO HD300 20GB which has direct line encoding. I connect it to the line out on my mixer and then connect the player into the PC after to name the tracks.

iriver h320 seems to be the one for me. 20gb drive, line in direct mp3 encoding. €399 direct from the Irish rip-off shops (all of them), or €260 from the states via ebay. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I have an iRiver iFP895 which is a sweet little machine. Does mp3 encoding direct from line in. wish it did OGG encoding also, but even still.... love it..

Kenmc,
    What's quality of line-in direct encoding like?
    What sort of audio sources have you used with it?
    ( Particularly interested in recording Sat radio via sat decoder )

or €260 from the states via ebay. Hmmmm
    Watch that you don't get caught for Customs & Excise...

I'll be instructing the guy to write "gift" and "Value: $25" on the customs docket.

Dec4 wrote:
    Kenmc,
    What's quality of line-in direct encoding like?
    What sort of audio sources have you used with it?
    ( Particularly interested in recording Sat radio via sat decoder )
    I've only recorded one file, from a cd player just for the giggle to see how it works. it seemed fine to me. unfortunately the player is currently being repaired (i cracked the bloody glass screen above the LCD dammit) so I can't make a recording to send to you, but if you're interested I can do so when it returns and you can see for yourself.
    K

You know the score obviously...
    BTW It's €309+10 from komplett if you wanted peace of mind

Kenmc,
    Thanks for the kind offer.
    Interested in knowing if you can adjust recording level on line-in. Probably not, as I would imagine they would have this in specs quoted.

Not a bad price I guess, cheaper than pixmania anyway http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/85103/art/iriver/mp3-20-gb-h320-player.html

EDIT/ actually, no it's not. The one on Komplett doesn't come with the remote control.

If I did get done for customs, how much would I end up paying?

Dec4 wrote:
    Kenmc,
    Thanks for the kind offer.
    Interested in knowing if you can adjust recording level on line-in. Probably not, as I would imagine they would have this in specs quoted.
    Yeah you can adjust this.
    The manual is available online :
    http://www.iriveramerica.com/images/pdf/iFP-800EngPlayer.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In a similar vein to the original poster, I'm looking for a small (up to 512mb) flash player with line in recording. I was looking at the creative N200 and V200. They both have pluses, one is a thumbnail drive, the other requires a cable. One has full line in recording, the other only does FM and voice recording.

Does anyone know of a similar sized player of comparable size that combines a thumbnail drive with line in recording?

• Advertisement
Advertisement