Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Cap

Options
  • 25-02-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Guys

any update on Eircom charging for going over the cap, I've the 4GB cap and am at 8.5GB for this month and planking it up to the 3rd March when my bill will arrive.

One guy earlier this month said he was charged but everyone else on the thread said they were not, including some guy who had 32GB download

So come on help relieve the nerves, only so much valium I can take between now and the 3rd March, I'll never be able to tell the kids not to use the phone again!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

WillieDH wrote:
    Guys

any update on Eircom charging for going over the cap, I've the 4GB cap and am at 8.5GB for this month and planking it up to the 3rd March when my bill will arrive.

One guy earlier this month said he was charged but everyone else on the thread said they were not, including some guy who had 32GB download

So come on help relieve the nerves, only so much valium I can take between now and the 3rd March, I'll never be able to tell the kids not to use the phone again!!

wel if they charge u , u are looking at 140 euros, not the end of the world. i made 2 one minute phone calls from a hotel in the US and they charged me 50 dollars.
    should b ok but u never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

yeah but been at that download rate for the next 3 months, wife will hit the roof.

would u not have considered iol, they offer 8gb cap instead of 4 and are cheaper than eircom. also they have the option of 16gb for a little more.
    caps are going up now anyway hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

will be moving soon as my 1 year contract is up in August, 4GB sounds like a huge amount when you've been on dial up but soon as you start using Bittorrent for TV ep's it becomes a very small amount.

All I've really downloaded are up to date ep's of Star Trek Enterpries and 24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Yeah 4Gbs seem like some much for me too until i got broadband and a new PC, now i see a MB more like a KB. And the Internet is getting bigger as well.
    Even Most things you download legally have tripled in size so eircom really should be changing with the times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

stalfos wrote:
    Yeah 4Gbs seem like some much for me too until i got broadband and a new PC, now i see a MB more like a KB. And the Internet is getting bigger as well.
    Even Most things you download legally have tripled in size so eircom really should be changing with the times

I can agree with you there. I've a 30GB cap on NTL but when I got it I didn't think I'd even come close to the cap yet i'm pretty much maxing it out on BT anime downloads. Files are getting bigger but compared to the other ISP's eircom seems to be stuck in a time warp.

Mmmmmmm 1mb uncapped connection :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭realsubzero

to the guy who originally posted this message

im the guy who said he was charged for going over the cap with eircom,

this is in fact not the case. when i heard other people got a bill without the charges i called them. they charged me for a replaced adsl modem with broke and they called out to replace. this indeed was an error. 300 euro for a adsl modem is a bit much, so they have sent a replacement bill which is 200 euro. thats the 100 for broadband and the rest are calls. i get my bill bi monthly (every 2 months)

So dont sweat, you arent gonna get charged

i hope this clears things up and i want to apolagise to anyone who got heart failure when they thought they were gonna get a whopper of a bill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

to the guy who originally posted this message

im the guy who said he was charged for going over the cap with eircom,

this is in fact not the case. when i heard other people got a bill without the charges i called them. they charged me for a replaced adsl modem with broke and they called out to replace. this indeed was an error. 300 euro for a adsl modem is a bit much, so they have sent a replacement bill which is 200 euro. thats the 100 for broadband and the rest are calls. i get my bill bi monthly (every 2 months)

So dont sweat, you arent gonna get charged

i hope this clears things up and i want to apolagise to anyone who got heart failure when they thought they were gonna get a whopper of a bill

:D OH YES, thank you *dances with joy* here eye was sweating buckets for going over my cap by 500MBs. I have went so many days without downloading anything but now i can be a downloading whore again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭realsubzero

oh man sorry, i shoud have posted this a few days ago!! really sorry to anyone who cut down

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I've heard, not official or anything at all, that the 4GB cap will actually receive a HEFTY increase to 20GB with the announcment. I hope that doesn't get peoples hopes up without reason yadda yadda. Just passing along what I've heard - 3rd/4th hand news but the guy was quite certain that's what he was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

WillieDH wrote:
    Guys

they're keeping record of it all, you will be charged for every bit over your limit you have gone to date, not sure of the exact date but it will be soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

azezil wrote:
    they're keeping record of it all, you will be charged for every bit over your limit you have gone to date, not sure of the exact date but it will be soon :)
    are you just trollling or do you have proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

At this stage in the game if eircom start charging for going over the pathetic cap they'll haemorrhage even more customers to Smart. What they could do is just charge those that completely abuse the service and would probably be happy to see them leave to a competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

azezil wrote:

Thats bollix. nuff said really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

halenger wrote:
    I've heard, not official or anything at all, that the 4GB cap will actually receive a HEFTY increase to 20GB with the announcment. I hope that doesn't get peoples hopes up without reason yadda yadda. Just passing along what I've heard - 3rd/4th hand news but the guy was quite certain that's what he was told.

if the 4gig customers might get upgraded to 20gig then the 8 gig customers shud go higher? 30gig or higher? will everyone get the 1mb speed increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

what's all this about a speed increase? There's more posts about it in anoyher thread about iol broadband, but I've seen no official word on it. Would they not be shouting it from the rooftops if they were going to upgrade everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

for some reason eircom like to annouce things in march of all months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Outstanding news indeed if the 4GB - 20 GB cap is true but can any1 tell me how or why eircom are doing this.

Is it just a ploy to save themselves more hassle of ppl defecting to Smart or have they suddenly got an increase in moola to accomodate the higher allowances.

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't that the sad point of the 4GB, it was all eircom could afford. Any higher and they would be haemorrhaging money coz of the BW costs.

I'm prolly wrong I just don't want to get my hopes up too high, for a 20 GB cap & then have them dashed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Well that extra amount of downloads isn't costing them all that much if what is being said around the place is true. Broadband providers in other parts of the world charge a few cent per GB, not per MB. I don't know though... I'm sure a lot of Eircom's customers have broken their 4GB caps so Eircom are already paying for it. If they charge then it'll go down incredibly badly. We'll see in time...

• Advertisement

norbert64 wrote:
    Outstanding news indeed if the 4GB - 20 GB cap is true but can any1 tell me how or why eircom are doing this.

Is it just a ploy to save themselves more hassle of ppl defecting to Smart or have they suddenly got an increase in moola to accomodate the higher allowances.

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't that the sad point of the 4GB, it was all eircom could afford. Any higher and they would be haemorrhaging money coz of the BW costs.

I'm prolly wrong I just don't want to get my hopes up too high, for a 20 GB cap & then have them dashed.

20 gb of data only costs a euro, hardly a haemorrage.....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

sometimes I wish all ISPs would start charging for going over caps, including for the past 3-6 months. After a media war and customers voicing their opinions - lasting few months - most if not all isp's will be offering much better packages etc - in the end the end user will win
    won't happen though - no ISP will ever charge for going over cap (except UTV :) ) that wont be propperly and officially announced with enough warning emails every day to fillup a 2M mailbox. Reason: nobody can afford such bad reputation and public backlash

why did u want them to start charging? we are already paying one of the higest tariffs in europe. for a similar charge in the uk, the speed would be 4 times faster and be 'uncapped'

do u think utv charging a 30000% profit margin on megabyte transfer is fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

lomb wrote:
    why did u want them to start charging?
    because after the dust would settle after the huge outcries about 'unfair' and rip-off, in the end we consumers would be better off (sans those suckers who got went over limit and got charged)
    we are already paying one of the higest tariffs in europe. for a similar charge in the uk, the speed would be 4 times faster and be 'uncapped'
    true uncapped dsl or other broadband (and using more than 1/4-1/3 of the possible downloadable maximum month after month) wont happen anywhere. True, there are certain individuals who are lucky that they get away with it (most likely because their usage does not make much of a dent to the total usage of the whole ISP because they are lucky that only few such leechers are on that particular product/segment/area) but most will eventually stand out and be forced either to a different product or out of the contract if they wish to download such amount.
    do u think utv charging a 30000% profit margin on megabyte transfer is fair?
    yes and no
    they have the lowest per MB charge of all bitstream resellers IIRC
    and it is in their contract so it is fair, one knew what he is getting into (the fact that other ISPs dont charge is beyond this point)
    on the other hand, it is still too much - but I can understand the reason behind such high charge per GB - they do not want people downloading more as it might affect their ****ty network (they allways had problems with their network and bandwith available)
    I have allways been a proponent that broadband (with 2Mb++ speeds) should be treated and charged as an utility - small monthly charge of ~10E and then per GB - I could live with 1E/GB. wont happen however I know.

edit: anyway, the point I was trying to make is that eircom or esat or whoever wont be charging for caps unless it is properly announced. They will definitely not charge for breaking the caps in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

If a GB only costs eircom a euro, then why we are we getting stiffed with a lousy 4 GB DL allowance. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Other companies don't have to pay to maintain or expand the physical network, eircom do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I wanna hear more about this increase to 20GB or whatever!

I'm on the 8GB so i'm praying for the increase! :D

Regarding going over the cap, went over by a fair bit last month but only went over by a couple of percent this month.

Advertisement