Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in South City, working in Shannon

Options
  • 24-02-2005 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Guys, sorry for the offtopick first.
    1. Would subj be a good idea ? I have heard about the jams on the bridges on evenings and mornings ...
    2. Are there big shopping centres in Limerick beside the dooradoyle one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

have split this from the original topic to help get better answers

Im not sure what your first question was you will have to retype that

as to your second question Dooradoyle is not the only shopping centre, there is also the Parkway in Castletroy and there is another one on the ennis road.

as for traffic accross the shannon, both the ennis road and the condel road are murder in the morning, but it has been like this for as long as I can remember. There are plans for a tunnel to go under the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 esbayer

actually I am considering to take a job in Shannon, but need a kind of a town (for my wife) to live in. I have vizited Shannon, Ennis and Limerick the other day. LImerick looks nice, but I am really concerned with the traffic.
    So the original question was: would it be a good idea to live to the South from the River and go to work to Shannon every day ? How much time do you think I would have to spend drivig to/from work every day ?
    PS I will drop the question about the shopping centres for the moment. Major concern is really the traffic.

the trafic is only bad until you leave the city, any time I have been on the road to shannon (going to the airport) once you get past the outskirts of the city, it moves along nicely.

takes roughly half hour to drive from limerick to shannon.

takes roughly half hour to drive from limerick to shannon.

Thanks billy. Are we talking about driving from the south part of Limerick to Shannon here ?

living on the south side of the city to get to shannon would involve having to go through the city to get to shannon. and places like the dublin road (coming from castletroy) or the dock road (coming from raheen) can be quite busy at peak times.

your best bet is to actually drive the route at peak times, with practice and with knowledge of the city roads, you will find less busy routes to take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Ya, I mean, If you want to live on the south side and work in Shannon, your best bet would be the raheen area. From there their is the Galway/ Shannon Road which brings you into the outskirts of the city (thats where it can be busy) then out onto the dual carriage way.

If it's a long time job I would definity say do it because they are building a tunnel under the shannon from Raheen to out past the city. Hopefully be finished within 5-6 years (I'm not too sure on date)!

There's pletty to do in Raheen (nightlife, Shopping) and there is a get bus network from there which gets you into the city centre in under 30 mins.

Other large shopping centres would be The Parkway (Dublin Road), The Castletroy Shopping Centre, (Castletroy, Dublin Road), Aurthers Quay (City Centre), but the biggest is The Cresent Shopping Centre (Dooradoyle, Walking distance from Raheen) Thats got over 100 stores. And over near the Parkway there are many Retail Parks, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

The shannon bridge and sarsfields bride to a lesser extent are massive bottlenecks if you're coming from raheen/dooradoyle headin for shanon at peak times, once you get onto the bridge everything flows nicely. coming back in the evening though, you're hitting 2 of the most congested spots in the city from the coonagh roundabout - the dockroad and raheen in general. i ciummuted from limerick to shannon a lot, getting out in the mornings is eeasy enough, coming back in the evenings can be torturous, as there are 3 schools divesting themselves of pupils onto the clondell road/shannon bridge merging with the shanon traffic, basically a 10~20 min addition to your drive trip from 4pm-6pm after 6 its clear enough.
    hope that helped
    If you do find yourself stuck in traffic along that road, i'll be the guy on the red suzuki bandit crusing up the white line with a big "what traffic" look about me :D

Thank you all ! Your comments really help.
    echomadman wrote:
    If you do find yourself stuck in traffic along that road, i'll be the guy on the red suzuki bandit crusing up the white line with a big "what traffic" look about me :D
    Bike - is my next option :D. The only problem with it is that my work would be in the office, so need to brind the FULL outfit for changing ... Sound like a major hassle ...
    PS what time it takes you to go Shannon - Limerick City south by the bandit ?
    Thanks again, anyway

when i'm calling to my mates in limerick it takes me about 10~12 minutes to get from shannon to limerick(dock road), depending on traffic (and slow people sitting in the overtaking lane)
    I'm coming from ennis though, so that doesn't factor in how long it takes to get out of shannon onto the dual carrraigeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Yep about 15 mins from Shannon to the dock road (without going into warp mode) and another 5 mins Dock to Raheen (this section has the heaviest traffic but much of it can be skipped by taking alternate routes) All by motorcycle of course :-)

As for bringing your gear, just leave it in the office and change when you get there !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I worked in the Shannon Industrial estate and lived on the other side of the city (Corbally area). I worked from 8.30 to 5.30 Monday to Friday and there was a route you could go that leaves only 5 minutes of sitting in traffic (journey would take around 20 mins in total). Basically going to work via Parteen, passing the dump and nackerville, turning right at Hassets cross (think this name is right for this cross?), towards the roundabout at LIT, go straight towards Ivans, take a right and onto the Shannon roundabout from here (or if the traffic is heavy on the stretch from LIT to Ivans, cut through the housing estate on the right).

It moves perfect in the morning, coming back you'll hit a bit of traffic between LIT and the turn back towards Parteen.

My girlfriend lived in Raheen and I used to often go to hers after work, which involved heading in towards town and going up the dock road. Let me just say that if you don't want to be sitting there for about 40 minutes every evening (don't know abotu the morning), wait untill this tunnel is built before living in Raheen...

wheres knackerville.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

... the haunting site beside the dump...

then i would ask that you refrain from such derogetory remarks thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭gerkiely

then i would ask that you refrain from such derogetory remarks thank you

You were'nt too afraid to talk down Limerick not so long ago. Being a moderator has really changed your outlook?

I dont have a problem with limerick, I was born here and have lived here for a large portion of my life.

my main problem is the complete balls the people running the city are doing with the city.

oh and as for the quoted comment i dont like the idea of referring to travellers as "knackers" which is what the previous poster was doing.

If it had been Moyross and Kileely he meant would it have been acceptable ;)

no actually as it would have been no help to the original poster given that the proper placename was not used.

this does not seem to be going back on topic.so im closing this thread.

esbayer, feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue your enquiries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement