Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far is too far?

Options
  • 24-02-2005 11:39pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am I odd in thinking that on a night out walking from say, Nestors on O Connell St, (is that still there?) to The Old Quarter is no big deal?

Any time I go out with certain friends they will not consider going to somewhere on O' Connell St as it is too far away from Cruise's St/Ellen St. They will however go to little Catherine St. And they aren't the only ones, I've heard this complaint from other people. I first noticed this ideaology about 3 years ago when I was on a friends hen-night and some people were complaining that she had gone to dinner at the Texas Steak Out as it meant they were too far away to go to the Icon. I hadn't been out with this group much in the year-or-so before and was pretty perplexed. One dance will take more out of you than that walk! And it was summer.

I've lived in Dublin for the last 2 years and there is definetely a reluctance to cross the river if you can avoid it. I know I don't shop on the northside much if I can pick up what I want on the southside. But that is because Westmoreland St to O Connell St is so crowded and at night when it's quieter it doesn't seem as bad a journey.

Have my friends just picked up on the kind of comments people in Dublin make and want to pretend Limerick is just as big? (no offence to Limerick but the city centre is just not big enough to say one end is too far away from the other) Are they lazy about any activity you can't dance to? Or are their shoes just that painful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I can't say I have heard of that before. have walked from smyths and nestors as far as the locke bar.

It could be the fact that bouncers go on the doors fairly early in some places and it would take too long to get from one place to another. and they risk not getting in.

The bouncers at smyths and Icon are knobs so its reasonable enough for people to want to get in before they come on duty.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Oh they would get in. They have very good relationships with pretty much all the bouncers around the city. And they don't usually tend to stay in the one bar, they'll happily go from PJ's to Nancy's to Old Quarter to the Icon.

They just don't want to walk for more than 5 minutes at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

must be down to loosing drinking time so ;) which is understandible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

It seems to me that the Limerick nite scene is just plain lazy. the clutter of decent buzzing nite-clubs/bars seems to be all in the one area. It's a shame because there are some fine bars that seem to suffer as a result. (the Bank for example)

Either that or people don't like walking down by the chicken hut

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Speaking of the Bank, has anyone noticed that the average age has jumped up since Ted's closed? Even our Minister for Defence and his two goons drink in there these days.

Back to your original thread:

I have often walked from Bobby Burns' pub down to Nancy's and on to Icon. No big deal, people must be getting very lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Maybe we should build our own Luas to take people from one nightclub to another

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chicky

I've a friend like that - she'll insist on gettin into a cab there in bedford row or thomas street to go as far as smyths - why bother waste of price of a pint!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chicky

Oh just on someone mentioning Teds - seen on the local rag last weekend that the brazen head and bently barkers is sold and waiting to get their liquor licence - no mention of Teds or after hours in issacs though :( ..... ah i miss teds .......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Believe me.
    Nobody here believes that Limerick even compares with dublin on the size scale!
    More than likely it's just the fimiliarity of the walk.
    I've found that I don't mind walking so far, or even further, if it's not a route that I use on a regular basis!
    Don't ask me why.
    I often go for hour long walks just for the sake of it, but I can't stand the 10 minute walk from town, to my house! I end up planing my day out, just to make sure I can get the bus home!!!
    That's my take on it anyway.

Advertisement