Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't install ethernet ripwave from IBB on win2k/sp4

Options
  • 24-02-2005 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi folks,

should have read through this forum before signing up...

here's a copy of an email i sent to support@irishbroadband.ie earlier today. i forgot to mention that i'm on sp4 to them (i saw someone else with sp2 issues on this forum).

does anybody have any ideas? probably a lot quicker than trying to get through to their support....

thanks in advance....!

=========================
    Hello,

I've just been on hold for over 31 minutes waiting for customer service...my account number is 30741. Can respond to this email?

I received the Ripwave modem yesterday and can't install it.

My PC is Win 2000, with 256 MB RAM, 2.4GHz Intel processor, Ethernet port/adapter and I have Admin rights.

I've installed the Navini Diagnostics app, but can't get the PC to detect the modem when it is connected via Ethernet. The quick installation guide is based on a USB modem, but I've (unsuccessfully) tried the following:
    - connecting the Ripwave to the PC powered down, then turning the Ripwave on, then the PC (no New Hardward Found wizard comes up)
    - Add/Remove Hardware wizard. Nothing by Navini comes up in the built-in drivers. I've tried to add a modem, Other devices, ethernet adapter, and each time using the 'Have disk...' option, but the nnetusb.inf that comes on the CD doesn't seem to contain information for the Ethernet version.
    - I've read both the Quick Installation guide and the .pdf that ships on the CD, and there is no detail in there that points me in the right direction.
    - using the Diagnostics app (it doesn't see the modem either).

I'll wait to hear from you.
    ==============================================

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

go to network connections.
    right click on lan connection
    sekect enable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

If it's Ethernet ripwave, then no new hardware wizard or notification of new hardware will appear. I don't think there should even be drivers for an ethernet modem..connection software probably, but not drivers.

Not a whole lot of help, but i'm not familiar with ripwave. Just don't worry that it's not telling you that it's found new hardware :)

Is there any lights on the ethernet port on your pc that light up when the ethernet cable is connected and the ripwave modem is turned on? does a little icon appear in the bottom right corner of the screen showing two pcs with flashing monitors?

Erm.. does this link do anything when clicked on? http://192.168.0.1 Hook up the modem and power it on before clicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

All you need is for a working ethernet card to be in your computer. Then connect the modem to it and you should be set.

Of course, there might be a problem with the cable. The modem might only work with a cross over cable, and you might have a straight-through cable. (assuming you're connecting directly to your computer).

My new mp3 player came with only a straightthrough cable, and so that cable was useless to me. I had to get a crossover to use the ethernet option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gdoherty

hi folks,

managed to get hold of a boffin in ibb called barry...only 8 minutes on hold this time!
    from your posts and talking to him, my network card should just see it as a lan connection, no drivers to be installed.
    - network card works fine (i'm on our company lan using it now)
    - when i plugged in the ripwave, i could see the little lan connection icon coming up in the system tray, so i reckon it was enabled (160 packets sent, 0 received)
    - barry said that i'd the wrong instructions (can live with that), but that he'd also upgrade the firmware when i connect it up later.

i'll keep you posted - thanks for the feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I'm afraid the IBB Ripwave is pure muck as far as I'm concerned, I got mine in January after checking their coverage map on the IBB website. I connected it and installed the Navini software and for a month I rang IBB every few days. The connection would drop for anything from 1 minutes to a couple of hours. After checking the coverage map again, I found it had changed and shrank dramatically. I doubt they tested this product before selling it.

They say the range is 17 kilometres but they use a range of 5k for safety. I'm 2.8k from the RTE mast and 3k from the Digital hub. The maximum download I ever got was 22k per sec, normally it's 12-14k. Not what I would regard as broadband.

I fell for the upgrade the firmware routine as well, this never happened, despite several support personnel promising me it would. I finally got the file mailed to me and I did it myself. The connection doesn't drop as much anymore but the speed is still dire.

Post if you want me to mail you the firmware. And best of luck, you'll need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I got the ethernet ripwave modem the other day.
    Have it connected to the WAN port of a D-Link wireless router.
    Powered both on.
    The connection light on the ripwave modem flashed red for about 3 seconds then came on solid.
    Ran the wizard on my wireless router to pick up the ripwave settings and I was downloading at 45KB to 55KB through a software firewall in minutes.
    I reckon if you are only getting 12KB to 22KB downloads then you are using some sort of file sharing program which is using your bandwidth or you have a lot of spyware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I seem to spend half my days now removing spyware/trojans from customers PC's so I definitely have none of them on my PC. I don't use any file sharing programmes at all, all I use my home PC for is web browsing and on-line poker. You must live directly across the road from an IBB transmitter.

I have no Spyware etc on my PC, No filesharing, changed NIC, Cable, updated drivers for NIC and updated firmware for Ripwave. The product is a dog.

Advertisement