Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuracy question

Options
  • 24-02-2005 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

I'm firing a Sako Finnfire Range.......using .22 Lapua Club ammo. The accuracy of the rifle and ammo combination so far has been impressive.
    I've fired 15 rounds from 100mts into a single tidy <10mm hole.

My cleaning regime with the rifle was basic enough....dry pull through...then a lightly oiled pull and store the weapon.
    The Lapua CLubs come covered in wax....like someone poured vaseline over them....the sako has a small ejector wire spring that gets gummed up easily....so I've been removing the excess wax.......basically rubbing it off with a cloth before and all was well.....accuracy was fine.

On the advice of some club members I've stopped doing this now (it lubes the round......protects the bore etc.).....using them straight from the tin......and the accuracy is gone to hell....

Anyone got any thoughts??

Vinnie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I always understood that you were supposed to leave the wax on too (a lot of eley ammo is the same - though the expensive match ammo in both brands isn't waxed), I'm shooting a Sako finnfire varmint model, and it seems to hold the groups nice and tight with the rounds straight from the tin/box. That said, if you're getting better accuracy without, then I don't see a problem. You won't damage anything by taking the wax off.

I never clean the inside of the barrel - which isn't unusual for 22's.

How many shots have you fired since leaving the ammo waxed up? sometimes it takes a while for accuracy to settle down after cleaning a 22, maybe the same applies for waxy bullets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Thanks Civ,

I've put approx. 300 through since I've been using the "unclean" stuff.....

I'm assuming that nice soft lead rounds won't damage the bore.......I've always thought it was ok.....but... I was told otherwise...

I was wondering: If the round is cleaned.....the rifling gets to have a bigger influence on the round itself......if it's lubed will this be reduced?

Vinnie
    (slippery when wet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

<10mm at 100m with Lapua club??? :eek:
    Is that edge-to-edge or centre-to-center? With iron sights and prone?
    Impressive result - 11mm edge-to-edge is the best I've heard of from batch tested eley ammo...

That's edge to edge and from a bench.......
    If I could shoot that from prone I'd be in whole other line of work!!!!!! ;)

I'm using a scope....a Leupold 6.5x20x50 Long Range Target on crappy Hilver mounts

Ah, benchrest :D
    Still though, for club ammo that's still damn impressive!

• Advertisement

I was quite pleased with it myself......all gone to sh**e now though.

I can't fit Irons to the range as it hasn't a rail on the muzzle.........but I'm looking at having an "adaptor" manufactured to suit it.

What ammo are you using?

I've tried Eley EPS too.....@130+euro per thousand as opposed to the Lapua Club at70euro per thousand.......
    My sako hated them.......almost as much as my wallet!

Vinnie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Vinnie,

You know one of the gunsmiths in the U.k will be able to drill and tap you a front sight dovetail or you could be able to buy a collar and add an extension tube with the front sight on it? Cheaper than buying a new rifle ;) ...

the big problem is now you have to buy full-bore target rifle once you have a go at small-bore prone, it can be addictive :D

What ammo are you using?
    I'm just using bog standard Lapua Multimatch when I can get it and Master M the rest of the time. Not batch tested stuff. I won't be going for that until I have access to a proper 50m range which won't happen for a while yet, and when it does I'll go get a new ammo safe and head to either Lapua or RWS (I'm thinking RWS after the comparison I saw between eley batch testing and RWS batch testing off the same barrel) and get 10,000 rounds of ammo.
    The eley EPS seems to be an odd fish - barrels either love it or hate it, it seems to be very non-linear in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

10mm at 100m with Lapua club

My hat is off to you sir...
    Thats well sub .5 MOA .. pretty fancy shootin from anything .. :cool:

Yup, 0.35 MOA. Pretty damn fancy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Advertisement