Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gmini 400 = poo??

Options
  • 24-02-2005 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

i got my gmini about a week and it's startin to look more and more like a piece of crap. i'll make my story short. it's easy to put music on but video files are a joke... the software that comes with it only converts from avi's into the special mpeg files it reads. I bought software to convert dvd's straight to avi's and i'm still havin problems with it. And now every time i try to disconnect it from windows it says it can't be stopped "try later". i've got to just unplug it. Can't wait to try and put photo's on it.
    Anyone else have one?? Any ideas?? is this just me?? anyone want to buy it lol..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I've had mine a few months and its a great piece of kit. The earphones are really crap so I advise buying a new set.

Check out the archos site every month for the latest firmware update. Here

Make sure all the Gmini folders are closed when you're trying to disconnect it from your pc or you will get that message. If you're still getting problems disconnecting it from your pc try stopping one of the other options in the safely remove hardware box and this will let you safely disconnect.

There is a great site called gmini400.com which will answer all your questions.

The mpg4 Translater that comes with it is pretty crap but there is a great free program called Fairuse Wizard that will convert a whole Dvd to a 700mb XVID or DIVX file for you in less than 3 hours. You have to pay a fee for the full program if you want to convert to a file bigger than 700mb. It can be found in the download section of gmini400.com. These divx files will play on your gmini 400, just copy and paste to your gmini. Fairuse Wizard is a great program, just stick in the dvd and come back in 3 hours and its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

bh, just find out the exact specs of the avi/mpeg you need
    max res / max bitrate / audio types supperted.

get a decent encoder, check doom9.org or videohelp.com and do it yourself
    those sites list plenty of free programs and you shouldnt be more than an hour or two on a fairly average machine if the res is low [less than 4" screen so it should be low] and the high quality encodeing options are off [again low res screen means less noticable artifacts]

I've tried loads of programs and in my opinion Fairuse Wizard is by far the best free program for converting a dvd to an avi file. Once you put in the dvd it does everything for you. My machine is quite a high spec machine and it take 2 1/2 - 3 hours, so depending on the specs of your system it might take a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

i have it and am happy with it.. only thing is i got the radio thing and it keeps falling it and making a buzzing sound when it does..

ill have to try that dvd converter..

Yeah, I bought the remote and I'm very disappointed with it. It doesn't really seem to suit the gmini400. The gmini looks great and then you have this big tacky plastic remote which looks as if it was designed for an early mini disc player. If you download the latest firmware updates it should cut out some of the crap buzzing noises when using the remote.

Has anyone bought the offical case? It looks nice but €40 for a case, **** off. They should have at least given a case with it, even the ipod comes with a case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement