Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mustard ale

Options
  • 23-02-2005 1:42pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since I went to live in student halls accommodation my opportunity to experiment with and explore the world of mustard has been drastically curtailed, limited to the standard, although adequate, sachets provided for use with meals and the odd McCoy's mustard flavoured crisps from the vending machine. However, I did recently discover a very interesting concept that I plan to investigate at the earliest possible time.

I was sitting in the Hobgoblin (a fine real ale establishment on Broad St. in Reading that I recommend to anyone who likes a no bull**** pub with great beer) drinking a pint of one of their guest ales of the week when I found a leaflet advertising a brewery in Surrey which brews Mustard ale. However, when I viewed this brewery's website (which has an online shop) I could find no mention of the stuff. Now, I'm pretty sure I know what I read and wasn't completely battered or anything (google seems to have heard of the stuff anyway) but I'm wondering has anyone else heard of or sampled anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

My uncle always brings it back from London.

He may have some bottles left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've had cherry beer, but that probably doesn't count, I guess. Must search for some of this mustard beer. It fascinates me.

The Vineyard could probably get you some :)

My uncle has six bottles of the stuff, but I won't be in Wexford for a while.

Good idea, I'll ask them. Do you have a name to put to the stuff? It would be very handy for ordering a bottle or two...

I'm not sure of the name of the ones my uncle gets, ecksor could probably tell you the one he's seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sarky wrote:
    I've had cherry beer, but that probably doesn't count, I guess. Must search for some of this mustard beer. It fascinates me.
    Kriegsboon (or something)?

Boon Kriek

Bloody lovely, so it is. Well, if you like cherry. I do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Mustard Ale sounds like a good starting point for a Welsh rarebit.

Mmm ... yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Amz wrote:
    Mmm ... yummy

I added a welsh rarebit recipe to the recipe sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Redmonds in Ranalagh might shed more light on this, I must ask them on Friday.

Advertisement