Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i use laptop wireless with normal bb setup?

Options
  • 22-02-2005 9:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got eircom broadband installed today.
    Im thinking of buying a laptop for the wife so she can surf from living room comfort.
    I went with the normal eircom modem as i was unsure bout going wireless for gaming etc.
    Anyways what is the best way to set my broadband up so we can use a laptop in living room while desktop is in other room .
    Basically im waiting 5 years for BB so im a total noob with the ins and outs od ADSL.
    What do i need guys and whats the best way of setting this up?
    Do i need to go all wireless or can i keep desktop with wires and laptop wireless?
    Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

get a wireless router.
    you can plug the ethernet form the eircom modem into that
    it should have about 4 wired ports and one wireless aerial on it

shouldve got the eircom wireless seems as how its free and all that ;)
    give them a ring, they might replac it for you.

the netopia itself is 50eu to buy whne you have an eircom subscription and is very user friendly, aswell as having plenty of features, so even if you dont get it free its wort looking into.

im sure others can recommend other wireless routers but i have the eircom one and find it excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The eircom wireless is only 802.11b (11Mb/sec connection) while if you buy a €75 802.11g router you get 54Mb/sec (and potentially more)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=-68&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=4&doy=22m2 will do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

meh when we see 11m/bits bb in ireland ill upgrade mine ;)

until then b suits me fine and ive a 15mtr x-over cable for anything big.

Advertisement