Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new phone line, how long before it'll be flagged for broadband

Options
  • 22-02-2005 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hey all,

Got a new phone line installed by Eircom yesterday. I checked online after it was installed, and again today, but it's failing the broadband line test. I'm just wondering if it usually takes a while for it to be flagged, or would it appear flagged straight away if it was broadband-enabled? (I know I'm in a broadband enabled area, and literally down the road from the exchange)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

they dont guarantee new lines will be broadband compliant. they need to physically test it from the exchange or your external phone box thing at the side of your house. the online test only scans a database of lines they've physically tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Give it a few weeks and if still nothing you cant do a whole lot to be honest. They only have to guarantee voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Yeah I know they don't guarantee it.. how do I get them to do test it then? seeing as it took them 3 weeks to actually come install the thing in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I beleive the test is run monthly on or about the 17th so until the test is run again, it will show up as fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

Yeah, play the waiting game. I got a new line installed last monday and it is still failing the line test. I am not going to worry until after 4 weeks have passed and would advise you to sit tight do the same.
    If after 6 weeks and no pass result, they can take the new line and shove it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭9lives

I got a new phone line installed a few weeks back and it shows up as failing the test. My potential BB provider, Netsource, checked with Eircom and they came back about four days later and said that it passed. So maybe show some interest in their product and they can look in to this for you.
    - 9L

That Netsource linetest gives more information than the eircom one. It actually lists the last test date for the line and that is very helpfull.
    At least I know that my new phoneline has not been tested yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Fastest bet is to ring eircom, and ask them to test your line there and then. Mine was failing the online test, we rang up and asked them to test it. Rang back 2 days later and they told us it was enabled.

New line installed 14th, tested and passed 24th. Ya beauty!
    Need to decide who to go with for BB now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 beny

my new line was set up 4 weeks ago I've waited for that time patiently checkiing every day the eircoms test and fail it every time. In my naiveness hoping that after the magic 17th day of month (whch supposed to be the test day) it will pass, it didnt happen.I rang up eircom today and found out that my line has not been tested at all. But was promised that they will test it within following week.

• Advertisement

beny, try the line test on the netsource website because it gives you the date the line was actually tested.

http://www.netsource.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I tried the Netsource line check out of curiosity. It said my line failed. But I've already got Eircom broadband :confused:

when you ring eircom (1901 I presume) what option do you select to ask for a line test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

i am also looking for the number people rang for getting a check done on their line for broadband....

thanks,
    toil

I called 1901 and got put through to the sales option, they are checking it out for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 beny

I called 1800 503 303 (as advised on this board) and my line was checked -passed in two days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

I rang Eircom about three weeks ago to have an existing phone line reactivated, and asked them (while they were at it) to perform a line test. Compatible, she said, but warned that the result was not reliable (and couldn't explain why). So I rang Esat BT to sign up for IOLBB, and they told me I'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for the results to be released by Eircom. Annoying but bearable....

Eircom were showing no signs of testing the line anytime soon, so I rang them again and they fobbed me off with "broadband is not available in your area" [hidden meaning: get over it] - even though the exchange (Caherdavin, Limerick) is active according to Eircom's trigger webpage. They were trying to sell me Hi-speed, which I've found to be little more than a costly lump of crap in plastic - needless to say I declined the offer.

So I rang Netsource on a Friday evening, they had Eircom test my line the following Monday and it passed 100% for all Netsource services. Go figure.........

By the way - slightly off-thread - applying for IOLBB via the online medium does not work, as I found when I rang their sales line (1800-923923, early morning is best) and there was no record of my transaction. So be warned!!! I wonder whose hands my bank details are in now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

from netsource test
    "Your line is not suitable for DSL.*"

thats interesting...seeing i already have iolbb

Advertisement