Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring Back garden

Options
  • 21-02-2005 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi there

I bought a house 3 years ago and was firstly sorting out the insides. Now I need to restore the back garden to its former glory. At the moment it is full of weeds that would be nearly waist high. I would love to set a lawn there but dont know where to begin. Any advise on what to do first. I know I have to wait for the ground to soften but when is that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Hi,
    Buy a watering can and a litre of Roundup.
    Mix as instructed and spread it around the garden.
    In about three days the weeds will all be dead.

Then you'll need to hire a rotovator and a roller.
    Rotovate the garden, rake it level and then roll it.

When that is done you can either spread grass seed or do what I done and
    buy the rollout grass.
    It's only about €2,50 a square meter, Instant lawn!!
    The growing season is April to September so thats what you should be aiming for.

This is what I done myself last year, it's hard going but no real skills
    are required. I'm sure a landscape gardener will do a fine job for a couple of grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Thanks Dan. I shall give it a bash. The readymade lawn sounds much easier but first things first get the weeds out and rotivate. Cheers for your help your a star :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

No bother,
    The ready made lawn is the biz alright but usually depends on the size of your garden. I paid €120, but €50 of that was for delivery and he threw in an extra few Rolls of Grass. If you can collect it's well worth it.

If your in the North Kildare / West Dublin area let me know and I'll dig out the guys number.

You cannot compare this grass to what you'd get from planting seed and I for one would highly recommend it, particurlary if your semi lazy and don't have green fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Thanks a mill. I am in the waterford area I wonder would Woodies or Homebase supply it?

Advertisement