Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Skatepark

Options
  • 17-02-2005 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Was out skating at the seapoint benches today and some woman pulled in and handed me and my friends a leaflet about the Public Consulation Meeting for the park. They want people to give them advice on the skatepark. It will be facilitated by Jason Sherwood from fearless ramps in the Uk and will be on at County Hall, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire(send a letter to them stating your name,adress,DOB,phone,e-mail and say you'll be there) The meeting takes place at different times to please everyone:
    Wedneday 9th March 2005
    2.00-3.30
    4.00-5.30
    6.00-7.30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I'm a bit concerned that it'll be facilitated by a modular ramp company. Fearless are meant to be a preety good company and have built some great indoor stuff but personally I think concrete is the only way to go for outdoor skateparks in Ireland when you consider our terrible weather and the level of vandalism.I'll be defo at this one voicing my concerns. Other things to get people thinking about..... who will design and build it? Size? Budget? Location?

Heres a copy of what they have up on their site, http://www.dlrcoco.ie/CCDA/SPORTS/skateparkad.htm

A Skate Park in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

Public Consultation Meeting

Would you like to have a skate park in the Area?

If you would, please come along and tell us what you would like to see in a skate park.

Have your say in how the skate park would look…

If you, or anyone in your family are into skating and would like to see a skate park developed in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown we would really like to see you

Date: Wednesday 9th March 2005

Times: 2.00-3.30pm

4.00-5.30pm

6.00-7.30pm
    Place: County Hall, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire

The meeting will be facilitated by Jason Sherwood from Fearless Ramps in the U.K. and has been co-ordinated by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, Sports Development Office

Let us know that you’ll be there by sending us back the following form to Sports Development Office, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, County Hall, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Name: _____________________________________
    Address: _____________________________________

Date of Birth: _____________________________________

Phone No.: _____________________________________

E-mail: _____________________________________

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

On Wednesday I was able to attend the three meetings held by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council in the County Hall. This was the first public meeting in the proces
    s of providing a skatepark(s) for DLR.

Timeline

It is expected that the process of providing a finished skatepark will take between 18 and 24+ months (from now). The steps will include more rider consultation, location selection, park design, planning, tendering for construction, construction, etc.

It was too early to decide a location for the skatepark. But the location should have good access to public transport, local shops and toilets.

Various locations were mentioned during some of the discussions, including Marly Park (Ballinteer), Shanganagh Park (Shankill), and other parks in the Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock areas.

Type of skatepark

Due to the litigious nature of Irish society, it is not possible for the council to get insurance for an open access skatepark at the moment.

The park will be fenced off and supervised. Some form of club will need to be setup and I believe access will be restricted to members. There will also be a (minimal) fee and rules about skating when the park is wet, wearing helmets, etc.

Design and construction

The majority of the riders who attended the meetings were skateboarders who have had no or limited access to good facilities. I think everybody would like to see a range of facilities suitable for all experience levels and riding styles.

There was overwhelming preference for the use of concrete as a construction material when we were asked. But it was pointed out that with good designed, constructed and maintenance wood and steel can provide a very good construction material.

Attendance

Over the 3 meetings I would have said about 90 people attended. The first meeting consisted mostly of secondary school aged skaters, DLR councilors and other adults. The second meeting had more secondary school aged skaters, adult skaters and DLR councilors. The third meeting had a number of younger skaters and there parents, college aged skaters and some adult skaters.

Other notes

The meeting was planned before the recent announcement of 1.5 million euro by the government. So there was already a commitment to look into spending some money, hopefully they can provide for a larger location or long term maintenance costs.

We just need to stay involved to show that it's a worth while cause for the councilors to invest time and public money in.

Advertisement